lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default At a crossroad- need some advice.

Here is my dilemma:

I have a 1984 Melex 512e that has been stretched 22" and lifted 4", with 22" tall tires. It has a heavy fiberglass Mercedes body and full roof, and will commonly have 4 full sized adults riding in it, maybe 5. There are no hills where I will be running this cart, and it will not see off road time.

I am running an Alltrax 4865 500 amp controller, a Carts Unlimited heavy duty switch, 8 6v Deka GC-15 batteries (brand new), and all cabling is 2/0 gauge welding cable with soldered lugs. The motor is an Advanced CH-4001 fleet speed series that has proven to have gobs if torque but little speed.

My max speed is 14 mph with this setup, and it is not just slow but unsafe when on the 30mph neighborhood roads (golf carts are allowed by local laws here).

I have considered sending the motor off to plum quick, but 2mph increase will still leave me with a slow cart. At this point I am opting for a gear change, but with my current setup I am confounded as to which gear ratio to do- 6:1 or 8:1. With 22" tall tires and a large and heavy cart, will 6:1 be too much? I like the idea of getting 25 mph, but don't want to do it at the cost of my motor/controller.

Which route should I go? 8:1 or 6:1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: At a crossroad- need some advice.

You have to ask yourself, can your motor (drive system) handle a 50% increase in load or 25%

Given the weight of the cart and the load, I would consider a motor change. Either a higher rpm motor or a lower rpm higher torque motor and the taller gear change.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts