lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1977 EZGO gas charging system issues

I'm not sure how to check the starter/generator, but the key start system seems like a good place to look.

Does the engine stop or does it keep running when you take your foot off the gas pedal?
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

engine keeps running but at idle speed
mom4651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Here is my $0.02 (and I could be wrong). I think that you have two issues. Looking at the symptoms from your first post things do not add up. If you have a charged battery it should start the cart and then run for days, not minutes, as the load on the battery is hardly anything. This is further borne out by you saying that if you rest the cart for a while it will restart. Now if the battery is so discharged as to not supply the milli amps required to run the coil, it certainly will not then supply the tens of amps needed to crank the starter.

I think that you have a fuel issue here. Now with regard to the charging rate, the dynamo will not start to charge until you get up to 1500 rpm plus. Here is were I stick my head over the trench and suggest that (as your cart idles) you have been measuring the battery voltage at idle. If this is correct then get the back wheels off the ground and gently rev up the engine. Once you get a very fast idle (and don't overdo things here) the voltage will creep up to 14.5 volts.

As I say I could be wrong .............

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

We have checked the voltage with the cart running with the back wheels up and the voltage only reads 11.75 and does not go up

we thought they same thing that a good batter should keep it running fo reveral days with the little voltage that it uses but after about 10 minutes it stops and if we check the battery it no longer has 12 volts and cart will start right up with a jump start

what fuel issue do you thiink it coul dhave at thi spoint we are open to any idea we are stumped

going to check all wires for shorts that is our next step
Old 11-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Ahh, you need to jump the battery, I didn't see that part. So to recap, with a fresh battery the cart will start and run for 10 minutes and then die. When it dies it reads 11.75 volts. To take a charged battery down to 11.75 volts indicates a big short circuit somewhere. Here is what I would do. First charge the battery and when it is fully charged let it rest for 30 minutes and take a voltage reading, just observe the meter for a few minutes and make sure it is steady. Now turn on the ignition, do you see the meter rapidly moving down? If so pull the 12 volt lead from the positive of the coil, does that stop the decrease in voltage?

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

When you say that the cart idles when you take your foot off the gas pedal, do you mean that it is noisy and turning on its own? or that it is quietly spinning? (in which case the starter is actually doing the work/spinning it and it is running down the battery)

If someone wired it up to only crank/spin when you turn the key against a spring (like when you start a car), then it stops spinning when you release the key (like a car starter) then that is your problem. The starter has to be energized while the engine is running in order to act as a generator and charge the battery.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #17
mom4651
Not Yet Wild

thank you fo rthe suggestions we will be trying them all later in the week when we have time

the key is basically and on off switch but we may take it of and wire it back to use the pedal and see what happens

when it is at idle speed when at a stop the engine is running
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO