lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default better ride/leafs or coils?

i have a 85 ezgo 2 stroke and been beatin on it hard a lot lately,what a great lil motor..
i have a new 13hp honda and just picked up a 4 stroke rearend w/reverse yesterday,and a spare engine cradle for the honda swap..

the rear i got ,,someone already cut off the coil mounts and its a leaf spring rear now..
in my mind i think the rear coil suspention i have rides good,but i feel when 1 side compresses in a bump,id think it makes the bump throw ya from side to side a lil more than i remember the leaf springs doing yrs ago..
seems like maybe the leaf spring may give a lil more single wheel articulation?

articulation you say im a x jeep rock crawlin kinda guy,and when in my cart i still love taking the road less traveled and running over every hump,hill,bump i can find.and love off camber trails at times.

so,what do you guys feel is a better ride in rough terrain?LEAFS OR COILS?
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: better ride/leafs or coils?

The Cradle you have is probably from an Electric Marathon.They are Leaf-Sprung.The coils will probably give a better ride with proper shocks.If you want it to really articulate,use a single mount at the front of the swing-arm,such as a Heavy-Duty Heim-Joint.This will let it move up/down,and Oscillate as well.You could also switch to coil-overs.I think that the Leaf-Springs will limit you since they are so close together on a cart.They give a firmer,more positive ride,but they are stiffer.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Coil overs are an A++++ gets rid of a bunch of junk and supplies more room. What ya think 90 ???

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Like I posted earlier,I think the leafs are the last choice.#1 is coil-overs,followed by coils/shocks,Leafs are just too short and close together in this application to perform like the others.Short Leaf-Packs 30" apart are very limiting to travel,flex,and articulation.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks fellas! thats what i was hopeing to hear
the cradle i got is like the 2 stroke one i have in the cart now,just got it figuring i would use it to get my honda mocked up on.
since i no the angle of the swing arm now,i can build onto the cradle to get the honda motor level in the cart..this sound correct?

i will have to build up a few inches on the rear of the engine mount to keep the honda level,on the s.arm,and figured the rubber motor mounts the engine cradle uses to mount on the s.arm would be best to keep rubber mounted .
this sound like the way to go fellas? john

also,this 94 forward reverse rear end i just got,,does anyone sell a locker or device to lock it when wanted? thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

you got me thinking about the single joint on the rear s.arm now lol...
this is right up my alley
but would it be as safe with the wife with me all the time i wonder?hitting bumps at 25 mph and such..
yesterday i crawled on on a rock on one side and got a cell pic,and if it had a single joint in the rear i wonder if it would have fell over lol..
when wide open thru trails now the rear kinda throws ya when ya hit off camber bumps,and kinda seems the single pivot point would eliminate that all together id think? hummm
Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If you have a Marathon 4-stroke rear,it will bolt to your swing-arm.If you are a decent fabricator,cut the mounts off the rears,and install the stock 2-stroke brackets on the 4-stroke-rear.I did that on mine,now its' a Marathon with a bolt-in Yamaha G2 rear.In most cases,the front of the swing-arm needs to be dropped down(I drop it half of my lift-height).This will let the motor sit closer to level,and give you more room between the motor and seat.The Single-pivot will definitely feel more tipsy,good shocks/springs are a must.The G14-up Yamahas' use a single rubber-mount at the front of the swing-arm.Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks id better stay with the 2 s.arm mounts i think..i had it flexed out a few times today with me and the wife,,still amazed everywhere i can go with it..sugar sand just slows me down is lil is all,haha
the rear i got is a 94ezgo..i thought they were the same thru 04?? i want a rear limited slip locker but they dont specify my year in the add..
pacanga,cant i leave the swingarm at an angle with my 5 inch lift..since the honda is rather small i can still get it level by raising the rear of the motor mount plate i make for the honda? welded to my 2 stroke s.arm?
i will eventually a arm or long arm the front myself,and in the future i may do the rear a different route..
heres the rear end i just got.can i remove the govenor linkage easly?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

it has sat under a pole barn for a yr,but seems tight and turns free in rev and forward..the brakes even work great with my finger at each wheel..
i feel it is a few inches or so shorter than my 2 stroke rear but have not measured it yet..
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

In 94' they switched to the Medalist,which is a metal-body version of the TXT that followed in 95.5'-up.The Medalist switched the rear suspension to leafs,with an aluminum engine-cradle.If you use the rear,just cut the mounts off,and weld on the mounts from the 2-stroke rear,then you can bolt it into your stock swingarm.Another plus of this,is that you can reposition the secondary-clutch up/down to fit your engine setup.I did this on my Opposed-Swap,since the Opposed is so long,I needed every bit of space.Hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO