lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 81 Marathon, loose belts

I am sure this has been covered many times. However, I am having issues with loose belts. Upon reinstalling the original belts, both belts have a lot of slack. The starter belt is so loose that the starter just spins, and won't grab the belt. I know that there is a mild amount of adjusting possible with the s/g, but it's adjusted out as far as it will go (or at least I'm assuming). It is still really loose. The drive belt seems excessively loose as well. I do plan to replace both belts in the future as they seem to be "good enough" for now. But I want to eliminate any possible adjustment errors on my part so as to not run into this same issue with new belts. Anyone run into this before? I haven't measured the belts yet, but I do find it hard to believe that they have stretched to the point of being too loose on the highest tension setting/adjustment possible (at least on the s/g). I understand that the drive belt will have some tension, but I won't know if it is actually too loose until I get the cart running, and can't do that until I get the starter belt tightened up. I'm at a loss here.

It may be worth noting that I have never previously driven the cart. It was given to me in non-running condition. As such, I was not able to check the operation of the belts before the rebuild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1517.jpg (146.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9643.jpg (161.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2430.jpg (162.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8238.jpg (157.4 KB, 0 views)
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 81 Marathon, loose belts

Check your motor mount bolts and engine cradle mounts, if they are really loose, that could make the drive belt loosen up.

The alternator belt should be tensioned with a tensioner bolt that pushes the alternator away from the engine- maybe someone put a belt on it that was 1" longer than it was supposed to have.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Your drive belt is SUPPOSED to be loose when sitting - so loose in fact that it can be rolled right off the clutches by hand (when the engine speeds up the sheaves will close on the drive clutch and tension it) - the starter has the main pivot bolt(s) (I've seen both styles of mount on the Marathons, single OR dual bolts) and a third bolt on a bracket in the rear - if this one is adjusted all the way then I agree, you've likely got an incorrect belt on there
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am settling on incorrect belt as well. I've eliminated everything else I can think of. I went ahead and ordered new belts, just to be safe. I should be up and running for the first time after turkey day. Thanks for the input!
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO