lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #21
Bulky
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Golf Cart Welder

No worries on the picture, was just curious. I am interested in the engineering rather than fancy paint. Was always told "Chrome wont get you home" & "worry more about making the welds strong rather than making them pretty".
Bulky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #22
kuntrywelder
Not Yet Wild

Bulky, you're exactly right about what is important on a job. After 30 years of fabricating ,welding, and doing machine work professionally I just hate to post a picture of something I worked on that looks ratty. There wasn't much engineering or welding expertise involved with putting the welder on the cart. I just removed the molded piece behind the seats where you put golf bags and exposed the frame, welded 2 pieces of square tubing between the frame rails and drilled holes to bolt the welder on. It is designed to be bolted into a pickup bed or trailer anyway. Depending on what size engine I decide to go with and whether I decide I have to have reverse the gas conversion might be a little more interesting. Seems I spend all my time on customer's projects and have little time for my own. I have met some nice people on this forum but I probably don't rate being here. My "wild" days ended when I sold my last motocross bike. Hmmm, if I could just get my greasy little paws on one of those engines, nah , I would scatter golf cart parts across 3 counties and one state line. Besides I am too old for that now anyway, I think. Thanks
kuntrywelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #23
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

As my old grandpappy used to say...you never know until you try. I believe he taught at the Tim "the tool man" Taylor city college.
ogre'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
kuntrywelder
Not Yet Wild

I suppose you are right ogre'sdad, I have plans, if I get time to put them in practice. They don't involve a motocross engine but do involve an engine several times larger than the electric motor it replaces. I also plan an electric reverse and hopefully regenerative braking in addition to the stock disc. A variable speed drive is on the way now. I hope to make it easy enough for my wife to drive and interesting enough for me to drive. Final plans include a local Amish buggy maker/customer doing some weather proofing on the light tubing frame and removable doors I want to build for a "cab". Winters are nasty here. If our "friends" overseas get much more "generous" with their oil, little wifey and I will have to drive it to church. Wish I had more time. Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #25
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

From what I have seen, Amish craftsmanship is second to none. Once the project starts keep us updated on the progress. Wonder if a small water cooled engine would be appropriate for winter as it would add a heater to your convieance (sp?). Sounds like a lot of work but it could be fun. Randy
Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #26
kuntrywelder
Not Yet Wild

Randy, some of the Amish workers are indeed quite skilled within their fields of expertise-I try to hire them for tasks I am not well suited for if I know they are. I will try to give updates if someone is interested. It took me about 6 months to build my ZTR cherry picker for my shop and it still is not painted-but probably never will be. I like your idea about a water cooled engine but my budget won't allow a new engine when I have an almost new air cooled one waiting for a worthy project. I had figured on maybe running the exhaust (sealed of course) through some type of heat exchanger and using a small squirrel cage blower to force warm air up into the "cab". It should work as well/poorly as the idea did on the old air cooled Volkswagen bugs. It will be a lot of work but I enjoy such projects and it keeps me out of trouble. Thanks
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #27
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

I remember very well the old VWs and somewhere along the line I remember an in line blower that worked exactly the way you described. It was outside of the exhaust system and worked quite well in my Karmann Ghia convertible (which I truly miss). Seems to me I got it from JC Whitney. I'll do a little research and let ya know. Randy
Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
kuntrywelder
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Randy, If there is something off the shelf it will save some fab work and I would be interested. I'll have plenty to do anyway. I had VW bugs but no Karmann Ghia in my past. I know what you mean about missing the old rigs. Sometimes I would trade my "computerized wonder cars" for a '47 Studebaker if I could find one. On second thought that would be a good trade-they're worth a fortune now. Thanks
Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #29
ogre'sdad
Getting Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Talking Re: Golf Cart Welder

Ghias, bugs, transports and buses...ahhh, those were the days. Try this website, they have one heater that operates off the oil line.http://vanity.qwestdex.com/barneysim...rts/Page7.html. Should be able to adapt with little alteration but, Murphys law applies to everything.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
kuntrywelder
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Randy, I will check it out and see if I think I can use it. Kuntry
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts