lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
spudd001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 94 gas medalist hard to start when engine is warm

I have a 1994 gas medalist and it cold starts with no problem. I drove it about a mile down the road where it sat for about 10-15 min. Got ready to leave and it had a really hard time starting back up. Now seems to be a frequent occurrence when the engine is warm... Any ideas? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!
spudd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #2
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 94 gas medalist hard to start when engine is warm

Check valve clearance.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
spudd001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks. I guessed a little bit in the spacing and it seems to start a little easier, not great though. It was definitely tight. Prob buy an adjustment tool to get spacing more precise. Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
spudd001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well... Adjust the valves with the .004 feeler gauge and not really any better. Still has a hard time starting and still back firing during start up. Once running, sounds and feels good. Any other ideas?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Check fuel pump if delivering enough fuel. Check connecting hoses for clogs and leaks: pump to tank, pump to carb and pump to engine. I assume you have cleaned the carb and pump already.
On the back firing issue, you could have a a lean mixture, retarded timing or spark plug gap too close. Make sure you adjusted the valves right.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
spudd001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

The carb is new so I haven't taken it apart. Never checked the pump because the fuel filter is about 1/3 full so I assume it's fine and has good flow. I thought maybe a carb adjustment but seems there is only the idle set screw and a screw on top of the carb that only rotates 180 degrees.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

To check if pump is delivering enough fuel: 1) Remove the drive belt or jack up rear wheels of the cart; 2) disconnect the fuel hose connecting the pump to the carb; 3) Start the cart. Gas should spurt out of the hose. NOT just droplets or trickle.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Im going to venture a guess that you did adjust the valves but maybe not correctly, try again backfiring is a symptom of misadjusted valves. also another reason could be the adjusters might be worn out and may need replaced also review the adjustment procedure , i know personally it took me 3 try's the first time i did my valves and remember the feeler should slide in and out with a little tension.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
spudd001
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
Im going to venture a guess that you did adjust the valves but maybe not correctly, try again backfiring is a symptom of misadjusted valves. also another reason could be the adjusters might be worn out and may need replaced also review the adjustment procedure , i know personally it took me 3 try's the first time i did my valves and remember the feeler should slide in and out with a little tension.
I found the thread on here for adjusting valve. Did as described.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
stomperz71
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you ever find a fix for your problem? Your problem sounds like what mine just started doing.
stomperz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO