lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '85 Fuel Problems

Yikes!

Been a while guys! How's it going.

Had a new problem pop up with my 85 EZGo. Noticed a week or so ago it was lagging a bit, and this problem has gotten worse. Seemed fuel related, as it just wasn't getting its normal revs.

So changed the fuel filter. Nope. Took apart the carb, cleaned all the jets and the fuel bowl (which was optimistically clean), and nada.

The cart seems starved for fuel, takes some time to build pressure, yet can't seem to hold it. Riding the choke seems to help, but even after it's warmed up, after stopping (yes, I use it for golf), it needs to be choked again to get going.

I'm assuming the fuel pump is OK, or else I'd be dead in the water, and I did replace the vacuum hose when I rebuilt it two years ago. Fuel lines which were bad were replaced, and I replaced another this year. And I noticed after I took off the carb, and didn't get the pin through the float that the fuel seemed to flowing good as it shot out the overflow pin on the back of the carb. So flow to the carb seems OK, but something seems to be off.

Also inspected the air filter, and knocked the loose dust out of it (which wasn't horrible).

One possible problem is a degraded gasket between the carb and intake pipe, that could be allowing an air leak. However this shouldn't be enough to require full choke, should it?

Any ideas?
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
natew121
Gone Wild

Default Re: '85 Fuel Problems

Could be your muffler. Ive heard of similar issues that have been resolved by bbq'ing the muffler.just a thought
natew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Nate,

I did BBQ it two years ago when I rebuilt the cart, but possibly it's due again?

Of note, when the cart is running, and I go for a longer jaunt (i.e. from the back holes to the clubhouse and back) I haven't seen any of the telltale blue smoke when the muffler gets hot.

Also did replace the crank seals when the cart was rebuilt. Almost tempted to try the reverse trick, but I'm pretty sure the seals shouldn't have gone in 2 years use (maybe 10 tanks of gas), should they?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, took the carb completely off today, and think I may have missed one of the most basic plugs - the set screw in the bottom of the carb bowl. Think I forgot to include this when I used the carb cleaner the other day, and when I cleaned it today, it seemed a little plugged.

Hopefully that's it, and I did take a wire to the holes in the jet just to make sure there was nothing blocking.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nope, not it. Have to choke the crap out of the cart to get it to start/run, and it seems as if it is starved for fuel. Still have to do the muffler test, and remove the fuel pump to do some hands on with it.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hello Scooter and welcome back,
It does sound like an air leak doesn't it? I would check your nuts and bolts starting with the cylinder base then the head followed by the crankcase halves. If they are all snug then the bolts around the carburetor, the manifold and the reed assembly. If you are still running sadly then jack it up and spray some easy start or similar around the carburetor joints and crankcase junctions to see if the engine tone changes. I tend to agree with you that the crankshaft seals should be good but it costs nothing to spray the rear one.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
redcloud
Gone Wild

Don't supose you checked the block bolts to see that you do not have a seam leak? Just wondering. I also see you do not mention the intake tube out of the tank. If you have a leaky connection at the tank top or bad pickup tube that may be sucking air out of the tank above the fuel level. Have you checked to be sure your fuel cap is bleeding air in as it has to be a vented cap or sucktion will stop fuel flow in time. Just some more thoughts.
We cart lovers will live longer as they say if we keep our brains working more, we will not loose our marbles. It does seem at times I am loosing my marbles when I have to try and figure out a problem with one of the similest engines on the entire planet.
Let used know when you find the problem.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Red and Dave,

Out camping this weekend, so the cart isn't going to get looked at until Monday at the earliest.

Red, the fuel seems to be flowing well as when I reassembled the carb incorrectly, the overflow jet was gushing fuel quite well (pinned the float, but not to the housing). Now thinking about that moment in time though, the cart ran normal its way up to the point the carb overflowed.

Plus, it's still the same fuel cap and intake tube, and nothing appears to have visually changed since I rebuilt it about 2 years ago.

Could the float have gone out adjustment for no discernible reason?

I'm really thinking the issue isn't the fuel system, and the problem is with an air leak somewhere. But, the gasket for the carb is still functional (if not perfect), so it is likely on the block or reed valves.

Again, any possibility the muffler could be plugged after only two years (and a BBQ)?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, came home a day early. Problem one was the bolts for the reed valves were looser than they should be. Fixed. Cylinder head bolts were very tight. No issue. However, sometimes we look for hard problems when the easy ones are at hand.

Bolt which replaced the oil feed was loose, likely letting in some air. I did also loosen the exhaust, and no improvement there.

Cart is working serviceably, but I'd like to richen up the air/fuel mixture. Is it rich left, lean right, or the other way around? Did a search of the threads, and can't bloody find it. Gah!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

I had a issue with my 88 Marathon that drove me nuts. It would run forward but took all day to get up to speed and needed to fiddle with the choke to get it up there. Once it was at or near full speed it worked fine until I let my foot off the gas. Weird thing was it took off must faster in reverse so I was boggled with what the fuel issue could be. Turned out I had a slight tear in the clear pump/gasket in the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump and works great. The pumps are not that difficult to get off and inspect. Inspect it close with good light. It might be worth your while. At least it is another thing to check off the list.
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO