lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
dmentd_dan
Not Yet Wild

Default XRT 1200 Blown FE400, FE290???

Hello,
I bought a XRT 1200 which originally had a FE400 but it blew up on the previous owner (catastrophic block failure so no reviving it). I have an FE290 motor that I could drop in it but I am worried if I will have enough power. I am not a speed freak and the cart will mainly be used to have fun on like light trail riding. It has the factory 23" wheels and I am not planning on going bigger. So here is the question. Will the FE290 (non bored out) have enough oomph for my purposes as stated above or should I bite the bullet and try to find an FE350 or FE400 motor?
BTW I am not too sure about the clone engine swap as the engine is ccw and my setup is for cw rotation. ALso their is no generator bracket for the clubcars. I am mainly wanting to stick with OEM type equipment. THanks in advance for the answers/opinions!
dmentd_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: XRT 1200 Blown FE400, FE290???

I asked you in another thread what kind of engine it had. I am sorry to hear it is a blown 400. I would at least try to get a 350. I have a 350 in mine and it is weak but gets the job done. The 290 would be a dog. These carts are so big they should have never put anything under a 400 in them. You can run clones but your forward and reverse will be swapped.
Seafarer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
dmentd_dan
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input. Sorry I didn't see your other post. I was afraid the FE290 wouldn't have enough power... Decisions decisions... I will keep an eye out for a larger motor then. I am trying to convince the wife that this cart wont be a money pit lol!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Seafarer12
Gone Wild
Club Car

I like mine. It is heavy duty and very handy but just lacking on power when you load it down. If I am alone in it it isnt too bad but load the bed down and throw another person in it and it really shows. I probably paid too much for mine. It was in rough condition when I got it. Not as bad as it was when the previous owner got it. He replaced a lot of parts. I changed the carb and the driven pulley. Its looking like I will be putting a new generator on it sometime soon. Overall its a nice buggy. I just wish I could soften the suspension up some. It is a rough riding sob unless you have 500 lbs in the bed.
Seafarer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
dmentd_dan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer12 View Post
I like mine. It is heavy duty and very handy but just lacking on power when you load it down. If I am alone in it it isnt too bad but load the bed down and throw another person in it and it really shows. I probably paid too much for mine. It was in rough condition when I got it. Not as bad as it was when the previous owner got it. He replaced a lot of parts. I changed the carb and the driven pulley. Its looking like I will be putting a new generator on it sometime soon. Overall its a nice buggy. I just wish I could soften the suspension up some. It is a rough riding sob unless you have 500 lbs in the bed.
I have the generator off of the FE290 I could sell you if you'd like. If it doesn't work I would refund your cost. $75 seems like the going rate for a used one. Let me know if you are interested.

For your rough ride maybe air down the tires a bit?? That what I did on my wife's four wheeler. :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car