lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default inconsistent firing spark

1989 Marathon 2-cycle. Have just rebuilt everything, and added new elec components (ignitor, coil, solenoid). Kept the switch (it works), the volt reg and the pulsar . Starter is good, runs both directions; good compression on the engine. New battery. The electrical path SEEMS to be AOK.

Tried to start it this afternoon-- have compression, fuel, & oil but a spark at the plug ONLY at the moment the pedal is released, when it sparks one time. Would the pulsar cause this? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks very much
Bruce
BruceHarless is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: inconsistent firing spark

That's a classic example of either a bad pulsar, or the connection from the pulsar to the ignitor.
Make sure the yel/red wire to the ignitor has +12v on it when the pedal is pressed, and the black wire to the ignitor is connected to a good ground.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks very much for your reply. I will let you know what I find... funny (in a sick way) that I chose not to replace that one inner-most part and now it looks like it will be the cause of the single biggest cost and hassle of the entire project. Go figure!
Bruce
Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Before you replace the pulsar you can test it as follows

Disconnect the connector on the output of the pulsar (red and blue wires)
Measure with an ohmeter across the pulsar and check for 75 - 150 ohms
Remove one probe and touch it to the engine block, you should see infinite ohms
Replace the probe and move the other probe to the engine block, again you should see infinite ohms.

If this looks good set your meter to the lowest setting on ac volts and measure across the pulsar. Crank the engine and look for ~ 0.3 volts ac.

If all these tests look good then your pulsar is good.

Generally these 2PG engines suffer from crappy grounds so if you have not already then I would remove the main ground point and clean everything up including ensuring that the ground on the chassis is cleaned to bare metal.

FWIW the ignitor is a more likely suspect but as you have changed it already I would look to making sure that the ground wire to it is secure and not just being held together by the rubber sleeve.

Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Red face Re: inconsistent firing spark

Dave, here is what I have found thus far:
-read nothing across the pulsar
-nothing on AC across the pulsar when cranking
-neither wire from the pulsar is grounded.
-blue ignitor wire shows 35 ohms to neg
- ground is good to volt reg. Removed the ignitor wire from D- on the volt reg, has no ground on it once removed.

On the meter, it is as if the pulsar were not in the engine.

Does that mean the pulsar is bad or that something connected poorly or wronglY. I took care when assembling the engine that the pulsar wires were adequately insulated from contact with the engine.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989Marathon View Post
That's a classic example of either a bad pulsar, or the connection from the pulsar to the ignitor.
Make sure the yel/red wire to the ignitor has +12v on it when the pedal is pressed, and the black wire to the ignitor is connected to a good ground.
I did both of these and they both are good. This and Dave's tests pretty well convince me to buy a new pulsar... Thank you very much for your help -- I'll get back with some followup.
Bruce
Old 12-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Bruce, Nothing across the pulsar implies that it is dead. It is also possible that the solder joint has come unstuck. I would pull it out and have a look. Good luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave, I have the pulsar in hand -- no issues with the soldered connections, so I am considering this thing officially dead and am going to replace it. I'll let you know in about a week....
Bruce
Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Changed the pulsar, and immediately had a strong spark on the plug. Thanks very much for great and helpful advice. Today we tried to start it but have other problems. I hope you will see a thread called "piston backwards?" and maybe help me further. Thanks a lot,
Bruce
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO