lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 Marathon 2PG Carb issue

My 1985 EZGO Marathon fills up the air filter housing with fuel when it sits. Not a drop is coming out of the overflow tube though which I would think would be the case if the float was stuck. The overflow tube is not clogged, I've checked that already. The gas was about half way up the boot that connects to the carb.

I couldn't find a carb rebuild kit either for this carb. Somebody has replaced it at one point because it says "Thunderbull"
andrew520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
redcloud
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1985 Marathon 2PG Carb issue

I have a 3pg but it seems I have heard on this forum of issues with the pump sticking and allowing fuel to run into the block and maybe that is something you should look at. Take it apart and see if the diaphrams are in good shape. Fuel could be just running down the carb intake and out to air filter area?
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well you have the wrong carburetor and it has a problem so why not cut your loses and get a new (correct) part.

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-917...7-2-cycle.aspx

Go here and get free shipping and 5% off.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

I don't think it's the wrong carb but it is aftermarket. It looks identical to the carb in the picture on the link you posted.. I tore it down and blew through the fuel intake port with the carb upside down and I can hear the slightest bit of air seeping through the float needle. This carb has a metal float needle (no rubber tip) which shouldn't make a difference but I know that some carbs use a neoprene style tip on the end of the float needle. It seems on this carb the overflow port is located higher than the main jet so this must be why it is slowly overfilling and running into the air filter instead of out of the overflow tube. I cleaned it up but made no difference. the carb you directed me to is going to be an aftermarket as well I assume as I haven't seen a OEM carb for under $160. Most are above 200.

Thanks for that link. I don't understand how they can figure charging me over 10% sales tax to ship to Arizona though, and they are based out of Florida. I pay around 7% locally. There went the 10% off coupon they offer.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would check the float, put it in water and see if it is
fuel logged (solid plastic float) or has a hole(metal float)?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Re: 1985 Marathon 2PG Carb issue

Put the new carb on. Ran great, Took it around the block and it died. Stopped pumping fuel. Took pump apart and the rubber (check valve?) was rotted apart, half was sitting on the diaphram probably stopping it from working right.. turned the engine over with the pump off and my thumb over the hole and it seems to have a lot of pressure so hopefully that means my crank seals are still good enough considering they are 29 years old.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO