lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 & G1 clutch spring

I've noticed when working on these two carts that the secondary clutch spring on the G1 is made from thicker wire with fewer turns than the G2. Does this mean that the G1 spring is stronger as in more pre-load?
Thanks for your help,
Chris

Last edited by Cvans; 04-28-2014 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: goofed
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: G2 & G1 clutch spring

Here's a pic of the two springs side by side. G2 on the left and the G1 on the right. You are correct, the G1 spring is stronger. From what I understand you can preload the G2 spring by winding it up and installing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92982d1382886978t-g1-clone-build-7755-003.jpg (5.2 KB, 0 views)
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

G2 also has adjustment-settings for the pins tpo lock into,that,along with pre-load really changes Driven-Clutch shifting.Then you can still experiment with springs as well.I'd be interested to see what the G1 spring does,compared to a G2 or a U-Max spring.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My diesel needs the clutches to cycle sooner so I'm thinking the G2 spring would help accomplish this. I'll give it a try and report back here in the next couple of days.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Hold on here... Mike, what is the business on these springs? Not meaning to hijack a thread but, can secondary stock springs interchange and what is the signifigance?
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #6
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka329 View Post
Hold on here... Mike, what is the business on these springs? Not meaning to hijack a thread but, can secondary stock springs interchange and what is the signifigance?

Field6565 said he has done it, and it works good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Great find Chris! Yeah I found my G2 rear end on craigslist....paid $60 for it. It looks like your secondary sheaves on your G1 are extremely worn. That could have been killing your top end speed. I ended up using the G2 secondary clutch with the G1 gold spring on mine. When it's in low gear it feels like it could pull a house down...when it shifts into high gear it really takes off. Good mixture of both low end torque and very fast on the top end.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #7
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvans View Post
My diesel needs the clutches to cycle sooner so I'm thinking the G2 spring would help accomplish this. I'll give it a try and report back here in the next couple of days.
Yeah...With your diesel engine set up you're probably better off using the G2 spring. The stiffer the spring the longer it's going to hold it in low gear.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Tonka,if you take the G2 secondary apart,the helix and the sheave have a series of holes to set the spring into.I run mine at B-2,as suggested by alot of people here,it works great.They say the UMax spring is the ticket,I gotta try one someday,but i need a new secondary first,mines worn pretty bad.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvans View Post
If you want the clutches to shift sooner, you need a softer spring. Keep the G2 spring on the lowest preload setting. If you go stiffer, you'll be driving around in low gear all the time. Not good on the diesel. You could almost start out in high gear with that engine. LOL
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Tonka329
Smoov az a gravy sammich

Yamaha

Maybe I will try a Umax spring after I get the bugs worked out on the Scrambler engine and get the cart dialed in decent...
Tonka329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha