lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
holland
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Valve problem ezgo engine

Please, see below pic for the problem I have.
Probably my valve seating is gone. I just wanted to make
sure i drew the right conclusion and not doing something wrong.
I tried to adjust valve clearance and run into the problem that one
valve cannot be adjusted. The outer ring of the valve spring is hitting
the arm and i still do not have clearance on the camshaft.

Anyone any ideas if I am right ? Thanks.

holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
hugger6933
Getting Wild

Default Re: Valve problem ezgo engine

Yep looks like a seat problem or a what used to be called a dropped valve[when the valve seat collapsed and basically makes the valve seem longer] That is why you have no adjustment. It is time to pull the head and refresh the upper end. It is already out call Geoff up and order you a 460cc! you could be to the ball before it hits the ground. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
holland
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Yep looks like a seat problem or a what used to be called a dropped valve[when the valve seat collapsed and basically makes the valve seem longer] That is why you have no adjustment. It is time to pull the head and refresh the upper end. It is already out call Geoff up and order you a 460cc! you could be to the ball before it hits the ground. Jim
jim, thanks for your reply.
When I understand correctly, repairing the valve seating would be same price as a new engine ?
What is the cost of a 460cc, and what type of engine is it ?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A big block conversion will require additional purchases. Make sure you talk with somebody who can give you the complete list of clutches, belts, engine mount, keyswitch, etc that you will need in addition to a big block motor.

A used head with good seats may be another option. Which engine is that?

Also you may want to talk with an engine machine shop and see if they can repair the head.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
hugger6933
Getting Wild

I do agree with Scotty B. The 460 CC is a complete engine type change that involves a whole lot more than just unbolting that motor and putting in the new one. You would also need a little over basic skill and basic tools probably to do the swap. I have not done one of these swaps as of yet. But I have done engine swaps including V-8 into S-10's[I have built about 18 to 20 of those] Also the newer LS16.0 into a 68 Lemans convert, and a 5.3 into a 89 chevy truck. Along with other regular and odd swaps. But I do have a shop that I own and it is a full service type repair/body type shop so things that might scare off someone else I can jump head long in to because the vast amount of tool accumulated may help bail me out.
Now in your instance the best thing may be to look for a used head like Scotty B suggested and in this site is a parts section that people who do those swaps I had mentioned take out their motors and may have them setting under the bench in their shop not doing anything for them. Or maybe you could find one from someone who had a bottom end failure and had a good head still. Maybe Don or Jason @ Alabama carts is worth a try if Don doesn't have one he might give you the phone number to the lady he sells a lot of his cores to and she rebuilds them to resale.1-800-262-6861. I talked to him on the phone he seemed like a great guy. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
dave*m
Not Yet Wild

pull the head and check the valve.They seem to be wearing out and dropping into the ports.I have done about 5 or 6 of these engines in my area this year.Seats are always ok but the valves are worn out and smaller in diameter than normal.Cost is 2 intake valves,head gasket and valve seals.Then the time to pull it apart.
dave*m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Definitely look into repairs,even a replacement head,machine-work,and shop-labor will be cheaper than a full-on engine upgrade.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
holland
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you all for your reply.

Took the engine a little further apart, and I think Dave is correct.
It's the valve being not the right diameter anymore.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Try the valve from the other cylinder and see if it fits right. If so, you just need a new valve and a grind job. If the seat is damaged, then you might need a new head. Your picture of the valves looks like maybe the valve is worn.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
holland
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes, i switchend valves and the otherone seats well.
I ordered new valves and will start rebuilding the engine.
Let you know the outcome.

Tags
engine, ezgo, valve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO