lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
Slickfish
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 g16 drive clutch squeaks

Hi all,
I finally upgraded from my old Harley to a 1999 g16. It came from a private golf course in he Minneapolis area. While it is in great shape and seems to have been well maintained, there is a soft high pitched squeaking noise that I believe is coming from the drive clutch. It does it rather steadily but somewhat intermittent. I would say it sounds like a mouse squeaking. I tried putting it in neutral and running the engine and it still does it. I also pumped one shot of grease into the fitting but it didn't help. Any ideas as to what can cause this? I have read that the rollers inside the clutch can have flat spots worn on them. The clutch feels like it operates fine other than the squeak. Thanks for any advice.

Also I have cleaned the clutch faces and replaced the belt with a new one from plow mans.

Last edited by Slickfish; 08-12-2014 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: More info
Slickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Slickfish
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 g16 drive clutch squeaks

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
duramax
Gone Wild

is it the dust cover on the clutch some say it has a pinging noise to it because the 3 bolts dont hold it that tight
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

it sounds like you are pretty sure its in the clutch,, but they don't usually make that sort of noise from inside,, it sounds like belt,, might even be the starter belt loose,, wipe the inside of both, front and rear clutches,, the belt comes off real easy,, I use starting fluid to clean my belt,, then wet a rag and do the inside of the clutches,,,,
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Trying to isolate the squeak. Some suggestions:

1. Remove drive belt and see if squeak goes away (may be coming from the driven).

2. Don't overlook the starter belt as a source of the squeak. Put some belt dressing on it to see if squeak goes away.

3. Take clutch cover off and try lubing the rollers and arms with a little silicone
spray to see if squeak goes away.

Something like this can be very frustrating (like trying to find a rattle or squeak coming from your car's dash) to track down. You just have to eliminate things one at a time till you have success. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Slickfish
Not Yet Wild

I did the brake cleaner thing but that didn't help. I'll remove the belt and also check the starter belt. Thank very much for the advice. I'll report back on the findings.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
duramax
Gone Wild

my input shaft bearing was bad & made all kinds of funny noises thank god it was the outter bearing & a little easer to replace than the inner one. $50 problem gone
duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Slickfish
Not Yet Wild

Took belt off and no squeak. Now what. I have not greased the driven clutch. Should I try that ..I have read that only one pump is appropriate .
Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
sjfishon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

well, as I said earlier,, clutches don't sound like that,, if you took the belt off and the noise is gone,, then you are lucky;;; its the belt,, when the belts get grease in them, its almost imposable to clean them,, if you know someone who works where they have a degreaser,, have them degrease your belt,, otherwise ,, order a new drive belt,, around 50$, CLEAN THE INSIDE OF BOTH CLUTCHES, AND YOUR PROB SHOULD BE GONE.. GOOD LUCK
sjfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Go to your local laundry mat and fill it up with your favorite cleaner like mean green or la awesome and toss in the belt. Let it air dry.Did this to a belt from my polaris ranger after seeing a tip on the ranger forums.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha