lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
E-Z-RIDER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default No gas, no go.

Ok, I have a two stroke (3PG) single in a '90 EZGO.

Checking upon arrival at my place the motor seems ok but won't run, other than on a squirt through the plug hole.

I have replaced the hoses and filter and checked the fuel pump visually squirting fuel out of an open ended hose, and have taken the carburator off and cleaned it out.
The carb had a bunch of white waxy looking goo in the bowl (I've seen a million different bowls with their respective crud buildup in them but never white like this stuff.)

There is no gas that reaches the cylinder other than by hand into the plug hole.

It runs well but only for the duration of fuel added that way.
It smoked white for a bit, but that is clearing up more each time I run it on a squirt.

Is there a check valve in the tank? Never thought of that.

Are these engines (3PG) oil injected through the intake? Buddy said that he had been premixing for a while.

There is a tank on the passenger side wall and a line that hooks in by banjo fitting to the carb side of the intake horn before the reed valve body.

Reed valves;
Could they be plugged shut? Or corroded shut? Stuck or otherwise incapacitated?

Can't do anything else 'till I finish this Nevada run I'm doing, so I'm just throwing it out here hoping to get some leads or suggestions.

Anyone?
Thx, J.
E-Z-RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: No gas, no go.

J- take that carb and soak it overnight. you'll be surprised at what comes out of it after a 12 hour soak. Personally, I like boiling them in lemon juice, an old trick my grandfather showed me.... (do it outside though.... you may lose a wife AND a pan from doing this). After soaking and setting all the settings back to OEM, check your fuel lines for ethanol corrosion/breakdown. The white corrosion in the carb bowl is a direct result of alcohol (ethanol) breakdown. First off though, check compression on the motor.... You said it runs by dumping fuel directly in the carb, you need to find a baseline though, so do a compression check.

If it were mine, I'd clean out the tank, replace all the fuel lines, rebuild the fuel pump (replace the rubber membrane in the pump) and soak that carb. Then, if that doesnt help you out, let us know on here what it's doing and we'll go to the next step in the troubleshooting process. Good Luck.
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
E-Z-RIDER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thx for the comeback Kdog,

That makes perfect sense to me, I just had to fiddle wirh it as it is my first cart and I wanted to see if it would run.

I'll start fresh with that when I get home. At least I know it will run.

Now to find out about oil injection, I think the line going to the intake horn at the carb is just that.

New post...Thx for the reply Kdog,
regards, J.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
E-Z-RIDER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thx for the comeback Kdog,

That makes perfect sense to me, I just had to fiddle wirh it as it is my first cart and I wanted to see if it would run.

I'll start fresh with that when I get home. At least I know it will run.

Now to find out about oil injection, I think the line going to the intake horn at the carb is just that.

New post...Thx for the reply Kdog,
regards, J.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
E-Z-RIDER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok,

I just read up on the injection system, no need to worry about it not working, I'll just keep premixing.
J.
I may as well remove the tank and line to the carb for no other reason then to keep things clean and simple.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

I've maintained mine but if it failed or got to a point where i wasn't confident in its operation, I would pull it and premix as well. Make sure you plug the orifice in the carb, where the oil line goes in. I think your closer to having it running than you know.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
E-Z-RIDER
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had a look at the injection system and decided that it would be better to know you have mix then to find out it wasn't working when it died.
It's been running on premix for a while I think do why not just keep going?

Now to get home and do the compression check and have a look in the exhaust hole to see what the piston looks like. That will give me heads up on wear and tear maybe.

As for the fuel problem, I'll pull the carb and intake with the reed system off and check it all over again.
The carb had some good wear happening at the butterfly shaft, so maybe I should just replace that to be done with it.

I suppose my carb cleaning job couldn't have been all that good as that's probably the only place where fuel comes to a halt when things get gritty.

Thx, J.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

EzRider,
Look on the web, you can find those carbs pretty cheap. You might look through some of the sponsor web sites on here to find a replacement. $60-$75 for a new carb.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO