lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
eric_863
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 ez go goes really slow

hello all. new here. I have a 1988 ez go marathon 2 cyl that moves very slow. the primary clutch wont swell enough to grab the belt and pull it all the way so it will go. I have cleaned the carborater, installed a new belt and did a compression test which was 110 psi. the cart does move it is just really slow.. please help
eric_863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
(((hot rod)))
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 ez go goes really slow

Take the exhaust pipe off the motor and rotate the motor by hand while looking into the exhaust port, if you see a rectangular hole in the piston then the piston is in wrong (this is the intake port). The motor will still run like this and have compression but will be a dog.
(((hot rod))) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That is exactly what was wrong on my 87....runs good now though.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Eric, when the motor is running, is is spilling fuel from the carb? does it do the same thing in reverse as forward (slow)? if the motor is revving and the clutch is not engaging, you "may" have an issue within the clutch. If the motor is laboring to run and not reving, your problem is more than likely fuel related. Is this a fresh rebuild? New to you? give us a little background on the cart.... if you've had it for a while and its run fine up to this point, it cant be a piston installed wrong.... lets look at the small things first.

If your getting good RPMs and the motor is lugging, unhook the muffler and run the cart. If its speeds up and runs fast, you have an obstructed muffler or exhaust.

By all rights, it could be any number of 20 things...
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
eric_863
Not Yet Wild

i took the motor apart this weekend and the bottom piston ring is broke. i have ordered a rebuild kit for it today so hopefully it will be here by the weekend. i had 110 psi when i checked it and i checked another cart of the same year and it had 160 psi. My carb had been rebuilt with a new fuel pump, lines and filter. new belt and spark plug. i will know more once i get it rebuilt and let you know how it runs.
eric_863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
fastwoman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like the start to a Dr. Suess book...

My EZ-GO
Goes really slow,
While most I see
Go really fast!
fastwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO