lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #11
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: The latest 2008 Workhorse Build / Ressurection

As always, very nice

And too funny. I just looked up CT Rebuilds and they are about 30-45 mins from me.. Just on the other side of the river.. Guess if I need a motor and don't want to go the clone route I know where to go huh ??
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Brother, I would TOTALLY refer You to them 120% - their performance 375 Engine is a complete steal at $675 (even better if You are local and can save the shipping and core return charges) ... If You ever go that route, tell them I sent You !!! I'm itching to do another pre-MCI cart as I have an extra 295 head that I plan on putting stiffer springs in, I figure I'll send it to them with the core and have them do a 375 for me that should absolutely scream for a stock(ish) engine - fun, fun FUN !!!

The "Other Half" is bugging me to ride today (her poor Buell has been sitting for almost 3 weeks with the weather we've been having) so as soon as FedEx drops off my stuff today I'm prob going to have to keep "Momma" happy and pound a few miles - there's a Mercado about 30mi away that just added a small seating are and serves food now, I've been itching to try it out so hopefully I can get away with a fast ride, a decent meal, then ball the jack home and get this thing lifted :)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I will have to remember that.. My two robbins motors are running ok for now but ya never know. The other is your favorite.. A Kawi F400J..
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Didn't get much done yesterday except some riding (after I replaced my handlebar bushings - long story) BUT the new shoes and lift kit arrived so I *had* to snap a fast pic to try and see how they'll look:

I'm still kicking myself for not going with 14's, but I just can't stand the ride of 'em when coupled with the stiff Workhorse suspensions ... I have an extra set or two of stock springs laying around so if these also prove to be a little harsh, I can always swap 'em out ... Looks like I have my work cut out for me today :)
Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Man you must have some big spacers in there to make those wheels stick out that far....

Which cowl are you going with ??
Old 08-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

SO - Allow me to rant like a Madman for a moment. I decided to try a new lift kit as I liked a set of wheels sold by STEELENG GOLF CARTS and figured "Why not order everything together" ... BAD move, or at very least I ran into some very bad luck. I will be posting detailed pics after I hear back from Steeleng as to a resolution, but here's the short list of issues I had:

The holes for the kingpin bolts were drilled too close to the inside of the axle, so close in fact that I had to grind the spindles down just to get them to actually turn and not bind. Second, the wheels that were listed as offset aren't the correct offset, so they rub on the steering box as soon as you start to turn left. Now, I can see where the kit would work with say a 2:5 offset, but the 3"4 they sell with it as a package just, well, DON'T.

Moving swiftly along to the rear lift, I had to use some homemade spacers to get it to clear the weldment on top of the axle (no biggie, but the Jakes kits don't require that) AND the holes in the lift brackets were drilled differently on each part - so the net result is one wheel that clears the leaf spring by about 3/4" (normal) and one that clears by just a hair under 1/16" (which of course will become ZERO clearance the first good bump the cart hits) ...

Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled with having to bust out the grinder for an hour, etc to make the spindles fit in the sloppily-spaced holes, I wasn't thrilled about them sending wheels without enough offset to be USED with their kit, and having the rear lift brackets drilled almost 5/8" differently side-to-side - well THAT my friends just took the cake. I have lifted over 30 carts in my time, and this was hands down the worst experience I have ever had.

On the upside, the steel, welds, etc seem pretty decent so I guess the build quality would be classified as "Good" - but QC seems to have pooped on me today, LOL. OH - and if the "Average Joe" were to buy and try to install this kit, they also had better hope they have a 1/2" drill bit and a drill press, this one is also a "drill the spindle" type kit (no biggie but were it ME, I'd include that info in the advertising just to avoid headaches for the average "Weekend Warrior")

I can honestly say I've fabbed lifts from scratch in less time and with less hassle than this supposed "Bolt-On" kit .... And NOW I have a cart I can't drive until I order some spacers - I'm hoping they will send me a set for the hassles, if not I'm definitely going to raise H*ll with Ebay and see if I can't get some satisfaction THAT way. The worst part is that considering the price and (other than the listed issues) decent quality, I actually would have been VERY VERY happy with the product. Again, I'm totally assuming this is a fluke as their feedback is pretty impressive and other than a few minor complaints on the forums, etc I have heard nothing but good about the company - oh well, I'm sure they'll do something to remedy the situation (I hope)
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well things went well with Steeleng, I sent them photos of the issues and they're sending me a set of 4 wheel spacers to alleviate the issues ... BUT another snag has hit and the body panels won't be done now until Tues or Wed, plus EZGO has the cowl lowers and brushguard on backorder - so I took some time to finish up the cowl and get it ready for final paint, duraline the running boards, etc.

The project is slowly coming together and remarkably, seems to be sticking to budget, still have about $500 to spend before I break the magic number, that should cover the seats and whatever paint I decide to go with as well as the rollcage I have in the back of my mind - for now though I'm fairly happy w the progress if not a bit disappointed in the holdups.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #18
bigplow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thats what I want to build some day soon I like the looks and versatility of the workhorse mine will be a budget build for sure but I am going with a jakes kit just not sure if I am going bigblock or some what stock did you put a torgue clutch in or anything else I want to haul wood with mine just wondering how they do loaded and some hills
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I've built several Workhorses, and I live at a retired Ski Resort so no lack of hills (or loads of wood, mulch, dirt) here, LOL ... I have put the CT Rebuilds 375cc Performance engines in the last couple, they are VERY nice and the price is right too ($675) .. With a 28deg driven clutch (standard on the Workhorse, generally found on most used MPT's too) and a 1" shorter belt, these will have ZERO troubles with power and torque (and the stock motors are SO much quieter and well-behaved than a BB) - add a 6" lift and 23's and they'll run out in the high 20's all day with no trouble.

I have an old single-place snowmobile trailer that I use for yardwork, I've loaded it til the springs sat down and cried with firewood and the Workhorses still pull the load around like it's nothing, I've pulled deadfall pines off of other trees routinely, even pulled a few downed ones out of the woods whole to make them easier to cut up - all no problem.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #20
bigplow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks that helps a lot now all I need is to find a good deal on a workhorse I do want to run a 6" lift and 23's
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO