lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 starting/running issues

it looks like the cables to the starter generator all look like they are in the right spots.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
Theskullstalker
Not Yet Wild

So what should be my next move?
Theskullstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Hard to say with no good leads. Think you would be able to tell if it were a fuel issue by choking, starting fluid, etc. Assuming you did a good job on the engine and the cam is not out of time....though you said it did that before anyway. I would say its electrical and why I would get a $5 spark tester you can watch the spark as it runs. Yamaha are very inclined to have wiring problems when they age. They also have a complete ground wiring system unlike a car, you have to check all the ground wires they are often the cause if problems. The good part is wiring is cheap to fix, but can be a pita to find the problem. I would try to see a spark issue like it cutting out. I'd check all the wiring. There is even a wire that will make it not run, the wire is for the VR, if it is bad. There are diagrams in the stickies posts at top though some are not complete. The G9 has a white/red wire that runs everything. Its 12v to the key, then the pedal, then the ignitor/start solenoid/coil all at the same time. But like I said many issues are the ground wiring. The cradle is (supposed to) be ground as the engine is grounded, but the frame is not and nearly nothing is wired to a frame to ground it. Check them and see if you find anything, look at connections, replace connectors, clean the ends, etc. That is my best guess you are not getting power someplace, no ground is just as bad as no power. Also check the fuse holders they have pos and neg fuses usually by the VR on top of left rear fender well. You can also d-load the manual here someplace.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
ahmjam
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Im having same type problem with a G9 barn find i have changed the carb with new.no real change it wont run unless i hold the choke and even then it spits and sputers im leaning toward vacuum in engine i switched coils and igniter also no luck either if someone helps you out please email me @ ahmjam @aol.com good luck and thanks
ahmjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Check pushrods and lash.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Unbolt the coil and see if the wires (if run behind it) have worn through on the bolt holding the air shroud on the motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Theskullstalker
Not Yet Wild

How do you check the push rods and lash?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Theskullstalker
Not Yet Wild

Also can someone tell me if the cart has to have a certain amount of volts and amps from a battery?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Take the top cover off the head. Turn the engine over by hand and watch the rockers open the valves one then the other then the compression and power stroke, then it starts over. If one is only opening part way or not at all that is a problem. Look at the pushrods is one bent looking. The lash you turn the crank to where neither are moving and put a feeler gauge on the top of valve stem and check clearance to the rocker. Should be about .004". Make sure you seal the cover back on if oil leaks it will plug the fins with dirt really fast and make it overheat.

Cart will run on a jumper pack, the battery needs to be good but not that large. Should be 12v+ at rest and at least 10 starting, or better I would think. If battery is good then cables might be bad, brushes in gen might be bad. Bad connections are very very very common with old yamaha wiring. If you need a battery get the cheapest universal one with the posts in the right places (the + and - post on right sides). I bought a marine starting battery it was $7 more than the cheap one at the time and had more CCA. Larger battery like that will last longer and work better in cold weather, run more stuff, etc....compared to say a lawn battery they don't last long at all.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
Theskullstalker
Not Yet Wild

I GOT IT!!!!!
Okay guys here' the deal the cart grounds to the frame by a small black wire near the relay assembly. If your cat was doing what mine did here's the fix.. Take a good new wire the length of approx 3 ft and add a circle connector to the end and attach it to where the small black wire is screwed in. then run the new wire over to the battery. and wam-o the ground issue is fixed and the cart should run.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha