lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unhappy G1 steering adjustment?

is there a way to "re-center" the steering? my kid hit the gate going into the yard with the passenger side wheel and now the cart only turns 1/4 to the left, and at least a few to the right. I looked everything over and nothing seems bent, so I'm assuming it jumped a gear or something like that.
figures right before firewood season, and this thing runs all winter hauling wood to the door.
mwar410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 steering adjustment?

I would doubt that it jumped a tooth. Even if it could, it wouldn't cause that.
Do the wheels still go left and right the same amount from center? Or do they go further one way than the other?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'm betting on a bent tie rod. Look underneath at the steering tie rods. Are they straight? If not this could be the problem. Also the tie rod ends can be worn out or damaged. Look at all the steering parts to see if there is anything that looks broken, bent, or worn. If you watch the steering parts while someone else turns the wheel lock to lock, sometimes you will see what's going on.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Or he stripped the splines on the steering gear box. If it is as loose as mine was that would be easy to do.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

ahh, its good to be back on here again. I'll go check again.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

so the tie rods don't look too bad, they're actually pretty straight.

Steering was never and isn't sloppy.

The linkage from steering box to tie rods looks a little twisted, not parallel to the cross member, but not sure if it's supposed to be?

3/4 turn to the left, 1 1/2 to the right. wheels barely turn left and it doesn't appear to be binding anywhere.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Find the center of travel of the steering wheel. Put the steering wheel at that position. Don't worry about where the tires are pointed.
Look under the cart and find the idler arm. It's the part that both tie-rods connect to toward the center of the cart. Is the idler arm centered?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwar410 View Post
so the tie rods don't look too bad, they're actually pretty straight.

Steering was never and isn't sloppy.

The linkage from steering box to tie rods looks a little twisted, not parallel to the cross member, but not sure if it's supposed to be?

3/4 turn to the left, 1 1/2 to the right. wheels barely turn left and it doesn't appear to be binding anywhere.
Jack the front of the cart up. Leave the tires hanging. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if you are still having binding issues. When I bought my second G1 I had some binding in the steering and my king pins were loose but as soon as I took the weight off of them it would turn fine......just a thought.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

To center the steering wheel to the tires take the nut off of the output shaft on the steering gear box and pull the arm off. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock counting the turns. Turn the wheel back half that number and the box should be centered. Now position the tires so they are facing straight ahead and slip the arm back on the the output shaft. Reassemble the parts that held the arm on and you should be good to go.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
mwar410
Gone Wild
Yamaha

got it up on jack stands and still doesn't have the travel to the left. hopefully I'll get sometime this weekend to pull the idler arm off and center it again. Figure with all the drunk golfers they give these things to it would be a common thing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha