lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
skooter_built
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 won't start when on the ground

A few weeks ago I picked up a used G1. In order to get it started you needed to give it a "push start" before the engine would come to life.

I did some reading here and have already replaced the 2 crank seals. I've also degreased the engine and installed a new carb.

This has not changed anything When the rear end is in the air it starts just fine. When you drop it down onto the ground the electric pusher motor & starter cant get it started. It cranks but no life.

I haven't checked compression yet but I'm going to guess I need to rebuild the top end. Any other suggestions as to what the issue could be?

Like I said, it starts & runs great when the rear tires are off the ground but wont start when the full weight is on the ground.
skooter_built is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
bvilleharleycart
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 won't start when on the ground

take the drive belt off and see if that helps. may be a clutch issue??
bvilleharleycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
skooter_built
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilleharleycart View Post
take the drive belt off and see if that helps. may be a clutch issue??
Starts without any issues when the belt is off.

A thought just poped into my head; is the starter supposed to propel the cart till the engine fires up? That is what is happening with my cart.

I would think this clutch should work like a snowmobile, it starts & idle's until the rpm's push the clutch out which then grabs & tightens up the belt.

Is this correct?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If it's a new belt that will cause your problem. New belts are very wide and sticky and will grab the sides of the clutch before it engages. It needs to wear in a little bit. If you have the older style clutch there is a roller bearing on the shaft, check to make sure it spins. If not, lube up that bearing and spin it around a bit. When starting your cart, step on the brake a little bit to stop it from moving forward.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
skooter_built
Not Yet Wild

Figured out my problem last night. When I pulled the clutch off to do the crank seals I reinstalled it in the wrong position, the weights were out. I reset the weights and greased it and it works perfectly!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha