lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Street Legal Cart in California

Need help getting a cart 'street legal' in California. I have heard the only way to do this is with a cart VIN #, which is 13 digits. My cart is a Western Town & Country on an EZGO chassis and has a 10 digit code on the passenger side, which I have been told by a non DMV person, will not work as DMV vin numbers are 13 digit. This would mean that all older carts can never be 'street legal' or NEV compliant?? Help!
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
bigirish2
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Re: Street Legal Cart in California

I am attempting to register my 1975 Cushman Combo 1 and have been able to find 13 numbers to use as a vin number, I hope. I used the numbers for the model and year that are on a tag on the cart, plus plus the serial number stamped on the frame, add a C for Cushman and I hope it will work.
Mike
bigirish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
bigirish2
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Have you checked out the DMV requirements for street legal?
Lots of things, would be good to have the list for reference and compliance.
Mike
bigirish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Yes, just checked out CA DMV on-line and it doesn't look good for doing this - it appears to be impossible. However, I am looking for any additional numbers that could be stamped elsewhere on the cart.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
B747VET
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Check with your city. Palm Desert is very golf cart friendly and probably has the best street golf cart safety and use program in the State. Go to Palm Desert's website and you can view the requirements for registration and what streets and cart enabled sidewalks are available. Maybe La Quinta can begin a similar program. This program was a definite factor in our recent decision to buy in Palm Desert.

In fact, I just checked and the link below will take you the new La Quinta Golf Cart Program website. Seems very similar to the Palm Desert program. These are limited street use operational programs enacted by individual cities that are different from the full blown California street legal licensing program. Click on the brochure link for greater detail.

http://www.la-quinta.org/your-govern...f-cart-program
B747VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks for the feedback. I just rode in a friends A/C cart. It is very fast, but not as fast as yours, i.e., about 31 mph and I think the motor is smaller than your machine. I have a 1995 Western 4 seater upgraded to 48 volt (6-T875s). Its 11 HP at 48 volt and goes just under 30 mph. I have a gps speedometer (0 to 40 mph) from speedhut. Motor was rebuilt through Plumquick for additional speed and torque. Upgraded solenoid, controller rebuild, 205-65 rear tires, 2 gauge battery/motor wires. DMV requires HD plexiglass windshield (not on my cart), seat belts (I have them), but rear facing seat is not street legal for passengers, 25 mph maximum speed is stated in latest DMV stuff I read. My friends cart is registered with the DMV using a 'borrowed DMV' plate from a Western Cart, his is a Club Car.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Local city programs are not a path to CA street legality. They require all the same things minus the title and factory certifications. They also limit you to certain times and streets.

I've been trying for a while and from what I've been told there is no way to take a golf cart that was not originally certified from the factory with a 17 digit (not 13) serial number and the MSO or Title to make it street legal. There are a few companies that claim they can do this in several other states and it "might" be possible to transfer it back to CA once it has been done.

I'm still not giving up, however.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

BTW, I think this is the link to the program in your city

http://www.laquintaca.gov/business/s...f-cart-program
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts