lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Old Soldier
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Old Soldier asks "Gas or Elect."

Friends, what are the pro's and con's between electric carts and gas carts. I have been told that electric carts last longer and require less maintenance other than replacing batteries every 3 or 4 years. But I'm told that gas has more power and doesn't require $1,000.00 in batteries every 3 or r years. I currently have an electric 36 volt and to be honest with you the batteries just scare me a little. Every time I lift the seat to work on the cart I feel like I have to put my hazmat suit on. Any opinions? Thanks
Old Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
Bubba75
My wife says I'm crazy...

Yamaha

I can't speak for electric because all I have is a gas g16 but I didn't even consider electric because of what I was usually going to be using it for. I went gas because I go to Bristol twice a year and camp for races. Camping is primitive so short of charging with a generator you are out of luck so no option other than gas for me.

Yes you don't have to replace a set of batteries which is nice. You do have to buy gas but they get great gas mileage.

Noise is a complaint from some. Obviously an electric engine will whisper compared to a gas. Also that little electric engine has a lot more torque than a gas.

As for maintenance on the gas it is pretty simple. Oil change, filters, and plug(s) and you are mostly covered except for some clutch greasing.

Just to give you an idea my g16 is a 1996. When I bought it the stock engine and clutches where still there. I replaced the engine with a clone last year not because the engine went bad but because I had the itch to go big block. That engine was running like a champ. And, I'm questioning how much general maintenance prior owner had done from the color of oil when I changed for first time.

Guess ultimately it's what to plan to use it for and your personal preferences. I know there are a lot of good people here on either side that are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Good luck!
Bubba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
Old Soldier
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Old Soldier asks "Gas or Elect."

sir, thank you very much for that input. I appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Pros for electric- Electric is capable of much more useful torque, with a good controller. Electric is quiet. "refilling the tank" costs little, less than $1.

Cons for electric- Short range compared to a tank of gas. Have to deal with battery water & corrosion. May stink up the garage while charging. Takes 10-16 hours to "fill the tank".

Pros for gas- power does not decrease as gas tank gets lower. Range of over 100 miles between refills. Lighter weight. Does not need access to a 110v plug every night. Quick, easy to fill the tank, everyone already knows how it works.

Cons for gas- noise, vibration, may smell fumes while driving. Usable Torque is a narrower rpm range than electric.

I am not going to address the so-called "green factor" of going electric, as you are just transferring the pollution to someone elses backyard (wherever the batteries are made & where the electricity is generated).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
meangreenmachine72
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I have always had electric carts thru the years and still own some but after buying my first gas cart I wouldn't go back. Most of the time if you buy a older electric cart you need new batteries, and hope charger is fine. It is easy to replace wires, solenoid's etc on electric if your not into or have the know how to work on engines.

I ran all season on a tank of gas without worrying about batteries draining and and charging all the time. Most campgrounds are banning gas carts so this is something to keep in mind as well.
meangreenmachine72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Old Soldier
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Hello Friends:

I have been in Europe for the last few weeks doing some business travel so I have not logged on for a while. I really appreciate the inputs that I received concerning the pro's and con's of electric vs. gas carts. Especially the one about some campgrounds not allowing gas carts so I do need to find out if my campground has this kind of rule. That will make my decision much easier. I do think I will probably sell my G8 Electric Yamaha anyway and try to upgrade to something newer so it is easier to get parts. So, with that being said, can anyone give me an idea of how much a 1990 G8 Electric golf cart would sell for? It has new batteries and has a working charger. Seats are in excellent condition as is most of the cart itself. A few minor scrapes and scratches but extremely few based on its year. Thanks again for the input, I certainly do appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
kev2504
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have had a G8 gas and now have a Drive Electric.
The gas I had the engine rebuilt, new carb, new secondary clutch, belts hoses. $1000 added money.
The electric when I bought it had 2 year old batteries in it. This summer will be my 3rd with it. So far I haven't had to add any extra money to it, other than my add on's. I will probably need to replace batteries in a year or two, so when I do I will Add a new controller. Only because I want more torque going up the hills with passengers.

I love the Electric in the campground mostly because it is quiet. Our campground allows both types.

Good luck with your decision.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Old Soldier
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the input, that's great help. If I also wanted to upgrade my controller what do I need to look for? Can I even get a new controller for a G8?
Old 04-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Alltrax SPM, hey, isnt that thing for sale?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #10
Old Soldier
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

If your asking me if the G8 is for sale, yes, it is for sale. Not sure if that was meant for me or not.

Tags
just asking
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha