lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
ScottyHeebs
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Need Parts to make my 2009 G29 Faster :)

I have a 2009 G29 yamaha with Jakes 3" spindle kit and 20" tires. Looking to make it a tad faster, I just installed the HD rear spring kit to allow for the 4 people to ride when we go camping, but she needs more torque not so much speed but better up and go. Any help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks in Advance

Scotty
ScottyHeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Need Parts to make my 2009 G29 Faster :)

New motor and controller.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Specifically Alltrax XCT 400 amp control will give you what you want
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You did not say how fast it is now (nor how fast it was on stock tires). I agree that a XCT48400-YDRE will do wonders for you. The stock solenoid is a very robust one (will be ok for use with an upgrade), battery cables & 2 motor cables will need upgrade with the controller job. Stock motor will meet the needs of most people not looking for "hard core" use. The XCT can boost your top speed & torque regardless of the curent setup. If stock motor is not good enough for you after controller upgrade, the XCT is ready for most any upgrade sepex motor you may choose. If your cart is currently configured with 4x 12v batteries, you may find that range sucks (range = distance before its dead), but putting better batteries in is not hard at all (putting 6x 8v batteries in is easy with minor work, putting 8x 6v batteries is very possible, but requires more $ & work). If it currently has 6x 8v batteries, changing to the biggest battery pack possible is a snap. Changing the battery type is like installing a bigger gas tank, it will get you better range before recharge is required. I suggest choosing what battery pack (capacity-wise) early on in the build, so you dont need to keep buying more cables, battery hold-downs and such if you decide to go bigger. You should be planning not only on cost, but the other needs like max range you might need, amount of street use VS off road use.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
vrmn1
Not Yet Wild

I am looking at the same thing. I have a 2009 with brand new 4 12 volt batteries. I have 22" tire and it goes 15 to 16 mph now. Would like to go a little faster. AND have a little more torque. However I don't want to give up too much range. A little range won't bother me. Not real sure what my range is now. I also don't want to have to replace brand new batterys.
But what would be a round about price to swap cables and go with the XCT controller.
vrmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Installing a bigger controller is gonna cost you range, thats life. How much depends on how much you lean on the skinny pedal.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Installing a bigger controller is gonna cost you range, thats life. How much depends on how much you lean on the skinny pedal.
I hear this question a lot now and the answer varies from source to source. I have asked Alltrax to give me the answer and I will post when I get it.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Alltrax's answer mirrors my beliefs. Below is the response I got.

Well honestly I don’t know that we’ve ever tested that in a side by side comparison. If they have a nice strong battery pack though there is no reason for them to lose much range at all, because you’re only pulling large amps at stand still starts, while towing, or going up large hills – flat ground driving the motor is still using the same current as before to keep the armature spinning, even with turbo causing field weakening. With an older battery pack, dumping 400-500 amps every now and then could certainly be hard on it and I suppose in that situation you might notice a loss of range, I would think only a mile or two though.. unless they spend a lot of time doing donuts.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

With any electric vehicle you trade off range for performance. More performance takes more stored energy to produce. Physics! Only exception would be if one controller runs the motor more efficiently than another which is possible but not probable.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
vrmn1
Not Yet Wild

I'm sure I'll give up some range, I except that. Kinda doing a cost benefit analysis
vrmn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha