lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
ToolExpressDude
Not Yet Wild

Default Cannot get flywheel off my G1 engine

OK guys I am working to replace my crankcase seals on my Yamaha G1 cart. I was able to get to the clutch side seal, but the dang FLYWHEEL will not budge. I've used the recommended triangle shaped puller tool but I've stripped the threads in the flywheel that allow you to mount the puller to the flywheel. I bought a tap kit, re-tapped the holes and stripped them again trying to pull it. I've rapped on the crankcase shaft, heated it numerous times, and the holes still strip when I apply pressure to the screw-in pull pin. Any suggestions? How about if I cut the flywheel off with my dremel tool and just buy a used flywheel? How hard would that be? Is that even doable? Please help!
ToolExpressDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
Nikwho
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cannot get flywheel off my G1 engine

what part are you heating when you apply heat? maybe apply a wet rag to the exposed part of the crank shaft and apply heat to flywheel? Just a thought, since the idea of applying heat is to expand the metal. You don't want to expand all of metal the same. Just a thought. Is there a keyway and is the key visible? I've seen the keys twist and bind and create headaches.
Nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If its a taper the kart guys use a knocker it screws on the nut threads and they whack it with a hammer to push the crank in. Best to hit a taper on the side but you can't with a flywheel. You can also hit the puller bolt when it has pressure on it, use a metal hammer to put vibration through it, but don't peen the end of the crank out. You would want to heat the flywheel to loosen it, often I use a propane torch for this stuff so it wont over heat it as they are not that hot. I hear you, I had a puller made for my G9 and pulled 3 clutches off no problem. Went to pull mine it would not come, put a 3/4 impact on it and corkscrewed the whole puller and it still didn't come off. I put together a clutch from another back side to use on my new clone lol. The longer a taper has been on the harder they can come off. Just keep working at it, soak it with pb blaster and so on, try heat, etc. Use anti seize or grease on threads.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Just be very careful when using hammer the end of the crank is soft (not proud of it but know from experience took three weeks to get a die from China to fix the threads)
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
ToolExpressDude
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all who answered my problem. I've decided to just put it back together and replace only the clutch side seal for now and then see if the cart runs significantly better. If not, not sure what I will do. One of my issues is that this Yamaha engine was placed in an old Par Car and the frame won't allow me to really get in there to apply ball peen hammer to the shaft. There is a incomplete circle washer around the base of the shaft but I didn't know whether to pry on that or not. Thanks all!
Old 05-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes be very careful with that, always put a nut 3/4 the way on the threads and hit that or hit the puller bolt that goes into the center of the crank usually or has a shoe on it. Can help to hold a block of metal or big socket/etc on there and hit that square on so you don't damage the crank.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

With the nut on be extremely careful the fine thread and thin but is exactly how I screwed up mine lol
Old 05-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Pull the motor out only four bolts on the bottom side
Old 05-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
ToolExpressDude
Not Yet Wild

Yep, pulling the motor will be my next choice if after replacing the clutch side seal doesnt fix my issue. Im certain that someday soon Ill have to replace the flywheel side too of course. Thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha