lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
ratrodin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 Choke cable

Was wondering about the choke cable.
So my cable does not hold itself into position & It sucks trying to hold the choke in the same place until it warms up. I did try turning the knob to lock its position & that does not work. I thought it just might be bad and need replacing.
I recently got a owners manual on CD & it states that you need to hold it in position until is ready. Really? 1982 not 1902
does anyone know if there is another option?
ratrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Choke cable

It is not supposed to hold itself out. If it did, Yamaha would be giving away mountains of free warranty spark plugs for those who don't remember to push the choke in. So, for happy spark plugs, yes 1982, not 1902.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Normally you only need to hold it on a few seconds unless your running in snow, then it takes a few more seconds to run on its own. I've raced them across frozen lakes before, I'm not kidding you lol. Try to open the idle mix screw a little more if your carb has one, that helps them start/run cold better. Usually you don't need the choke in summer unless it was a cold night say 50 or less. You may have dirty carb, bad crank seals, etc causing problems if you need to choke a lot.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Agreed with sho if it's above 50 mine will start with feathering the throttle a little with no choke... That being said one pull of the choke it will fire and away I go with no feathering of the choke once it fires
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
ratrodin
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for the replies. I am now thinking maybe crank seals because It will not run with the choke off. It runs best about 3/4 on. Carb has been done so I think that is the only option correct?
ratrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

9 time​s out of 10 if you need choke to run and carb is clean as a whistle it's crank seals
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

At one time I had 60 of them under my care and I could pull the choke on a cool morning and once they moved in a few seconds the choke was off and I was gone, with every one of them.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I believe that the chokes on these carts are sprung to close when you aren't pulling on the knob. You could potentially disengage that spring which will likely allow the choke to hold position until you push the choke cable back in.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

As follow up I checked out the choke apparatus and there is a spring underneath the choke lever on the carb. It can be easily be detached / reattached. I would assume that detaching it would allow the choke to hold in any position. For the record, I have a couple of older HD's / Columbias and the chokes on those carts aren't sprung and hold open until you close them.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, choke
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha