lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Electrical: Run away cart, what just happened and why

Been fighting for a couple of weeks now to get a g29 to do anything (someone even worse than me worked on it before I did).

Put power straight to motor and verified motor good. Key switch is good, tun tow good. I Put in a new controller. Still no click on Solenoid. Verified solenoid was good. Traced out all of the circuits and found power to/on the red (control) wire of the solenoid primary when I checked it back to negative, but no power on the other (black) control wire that goes to the plug on the wiring harness.

So, being tired and frustrated (not a good combo). I jumpered the terminal with the black control wire over to negative battery. When I did, cart took off wide open in reverse. Nearly ran over me. The odd thing was, as soon as the cart moved, I removed the jumper wire, yet the cart kept going wide open.

Well, at least I know now the cart will run, LOL. Can someone explain to me what happened (other than what usually does when someone does something stupid) and why and possibly what this tells me about the problem with the cart.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this indicates a problem with my accelerator or accelerator switch?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Electrical: Run away cart, what just happened and why

How did you stop it?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
How did you stop it?
In terms of motion, it stopped itself when it got hung on the pallet it ran across and almost at the same time hit a heavy hydraulic press.

However, the wheels continued to spin after that for two or 3 seconds and I don't really know why they stopped. I turned off the key but that did not kill it.

The thing is, the accelerator pedal was NOT depressed and it was going wide open (in reverse). It probably would have had a good chance to make Americas Funnies Home Videos.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Ozzysgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Need a new shop switch in the pedal it sounds

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
Ozzysgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzysgolfcarts View Post
Need a new shop switch in the pedal it sounds

Controller should have been shut down by keyswitch "off".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
Ozzysgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Turning off key will kill motor immediately but with the RPMs they are turning if not stopped by friction, tires will continue to freespin if it's computer and setting are set to 0 engine braking,

Ozzysgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The hard part is, we don't check no go issues the way you did. So by jumping this and jumping that and now the cart ran away, who knows whats up.
It started off as something easy, but now.....who knows.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Just trying to piece this together. When the cart took off wide open, you then removed the jumper wire. It then got hung up with the rear wheels in the air and still running. You then switched the key off and it continued to run for a while then stopped running. Is this correct?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Just trying to piece this together. When the cart took off wide open, you then removed the jumper wire. It then got hung up with the rear wheels in the air and still running. You then switched the key off and it continued to run for a while then stopped running. Is this correct?
Yes. I cycled the switch twice, but it ran for just a few seconds afterward.

As soon as the cart moved, I released the jumper wire. That means it was was running with power only to one side of the solenoid control circuit. As best as I can tell, It can't run with an open solenoid switch, so the solenoid had to either stick closed or it welded the contacts.

One other variable. I had just connected (for testing purposes) a new Navitas universal 420 Amp controller with the g29 harness adapter.

I think the black wire out of the solenoid I jumpered to negative goes to the #3 pin input to the controller/harness. I am guessing the controller, based on other inputs (throttle, key, Run/tow), closes a switch connecting the #3 pin back to negative post.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Did it keep RUNNING or were the wheels just in the air spinning?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha