lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 Drive troubleshooting

I just bought a 2013 drive, in non working condition thinking the batteries were the only problem. Put in new batteries today and still no go. Ive done a little checking with a voltmeter, one thing i find odd is that i have full voltage coming out of the solenoid no matter the position of the tow/run switch and the key. Always have 48 volts in and out, while that seems wrong i don't see how that would keep it from running.

I do get a click when flipping the tow/run switch on and off. Get another click when key off to on. Another when push throttle pedal. After one push of throttle it will not click again using the throttle unless i cycle the tow run switch. Also reverse buzzer works until i press throttle one time, then it is off until i cycle the tow run switch again.

I have full voltage when checking between the positive in to the controller and all of the other terminals on the controller. This is with no push of the throttle.

Any ideas where to start?
bdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Drive troubleshooting

I believe the full voltage is not coming through the solenoid but is coming from both sides, ie on one side from the batteries and on the other side from the controller. Sounds like the controller is shutting down when you try to go. The click you hear should be the solenoid. I would recommend disconnecting the wire from the solenoid to the controller, and see if you can get more than one click out of it. It's probably either solenoid, controller, motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentofdestiny View Post
I believe the full voltage is not coming through the solenoid but is coming from both sides, ie on one side from the batteries and on the other side from the controller. Sounds like the controller is shutting down when you try to go. The click you hear should be the solenoid. I would recommend disconnecting the wire from the solenoid to the controller, and see if you can get more than one click out of it. It's probably either solenoid, controller, motor.

ok disconected the wire between solenoid and controller positive, it looks like you are right, i do not have voltage coming through solenoid with the key off. I only have voltage for about 1 second after turning key on, then voltage is back off. Then if i press throttle i get voltage for about 1 second then off. This is checking between the negative of the battery pack and the positive out from the solenoid.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Can you get the cart to click more than once? Or just once without having to flip the tow/run switch?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

key on will click everytime, until i hit the throttle once, then no more clicking until i cycle the tow run switch
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Even with the wire off the solenoid?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #7
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

yes , even with the wire disconnected between the solenoid and controller
Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

another thing that seems odd, i have been disconnecting the battery positive to make sure whatever is wrong does not drain my new batteries and i just noticed that even with the positive wires disconnected from the battery pack, i still show 50 volts between the negative of the battery pack and the positive of the controller. This goes away when i disconnect the negative side of the battery pack, but i don't understand how it has 50 volts when no wires are hooked to the positive side of the battery pack.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It has voltage because the small positive wire going to the controller is linked inside the controller to the positive terminal. Unplug the 23-pin or whatever it is from the controller, then your weird readings will be normal

Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
bdeer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentofdestiny View Post
It has voltage because the small positive wire going to the controller is linked inside the controller to the positive terminal. Unplug the 23-pin or whatever it is from the controller, then your weird readings will be normal

no, even with the 23 pin unplugged i still have 50 volts between the positive terminal on the controller, with NO wires hooked to the positive side of the battery pack(do have negative side of pack still hooked up, voltage goes away when negative is unhooked), that just does not make sense to me where the voltage is coming from.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha