lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1 Main Rocker覧4 Sub-Rockers....How many Fuses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaXtract View Post
You can only do that with properly sized circuit. If you have a 10A load you can't just throw in a 20A fuse if the wiring is only rated for 15A.
This is absolutely correct. (I do this stuff for a living in the automotive world :)) However, as I said there was no information if the provided current draws of those accessories are max (peak) current or continuous current. That makes all the difference in the world for selecting wire size as well as fusing. Length of the wire run also must be taken into account, many people forget that.

When selecting wire size, it is always better to err on the size of bigger is better. Within reason of course... you CAN run 1/0 AWG for a 5A LED lightbar and it won't hurt anything... it will just make running the wires more difficult and in the case of running a pair of 1/0 to a lightbar on the roof, be ugly.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank View Post
Vanilla:
I did cut all the pigtails so they were only a few inches and then spliced into 16 gauge.
As far as Amp Ratings I simply ran the multimeter to test each Led Strip and then again once they were all tied together to make sure they added up both ways. I added a few more lights since I started this so I will go back and double check the canopy lights for sub 1 underbody lights for sub 2 etc.

CP: I have a 16amp Rocker for the main and 10amp rockers for subs.

I am not sure exactly about the current. The LED boxes for example one box said max at 0.89 amps. So I simply tested with the multimeter to my power supply to verify those numbers matched what my reading was. The ones that fluctuated were the flasher lights.
You should be okay with those rocker switches then. Unless you're going nuts, I don't see you pulling more than 16A continuous with a bunch of LED lights. The're pretty efficient :)

Best bet would be to wire everything up as it would be in the cart (if it's not already in the cart). Record current draw load that will be presented to each individual sub rocker. Add 20% for headroom. This may not be immediately necessary, but as time goes on, corrosion in connections, grounds, etc. can add up resistance and affect current draw in some devices (depending on how the ballasts are regulated... tighter regulated devices will see lower voltage (Due to bad ground, weak battery, etc) and compensate by increasing current draw so the lights/radio/whatever work correctly). unregulated parts will just get dimmer as source voltage decreases, it all just depends on how that part was designed.

Once you have each individual rocker, you'll know what to fuse it at. And once you know what you want to fuse it at, you can take that load and the length of the wire run (from the rocker to the light in this case) and calculate the appropriate size wire to run. There are plenty of tables you can find on google to select wire size based on current load and run length.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #13
frankthetank
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You should be okay with those rocker switches then. Unless you're going nuts, I don't see you pulling more than 16A continuous with a bunch of LED lights. The're pretty efficient :)

Best bet would be to wire everything up as it would be in the cart (if it's not already in the cart). Record current draw load that will be presented to each individual sub rocker. Add 20% for headroom. This may not be immediately necessary, but as time goes on, corrosion in connections, grounds, etc. can add up resistance and affect current draw in some devices (depending on how the ballasts are regulated... tighter regulated devices will see lower voltage (Due to bad ground, weak battery, etc) and compensate by increasing current draw so the lights/radio/whatever work correctly). unregulated parts will just get dimmer as source voltage decreases, it all just depends on how that part was designed.

Once you have each individual rocker, you'll know what to fuse it at. And once you know what you want to fuse it at, you can take that load and the length of the wire run (from the rocker to the light in this case) and calculate the appropriate size wire to run. There are plenty of tables you can find on google to select wire size based on current load and run length.
Really appreciate the guidance as always
:-)
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
VanillaXtract
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Use my link to powerstream and look at the column for max amps for chassis wiring. This is what you are doing (open air wiring). Based off the limited information, I would run 20 AWG for the subs as that gives you 11A (10A fuse) for plenty of expansion room. 16 AWG is 22A (20A fuse) and plenty for 4 circuits of lighting.
VanillaXtract is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha