lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Default Multimeter reads 50.4 but is it time for new batteries?

I have a stock 2009 YDRE G29 fleet cart with (4) Trojan 1275 batteries. It was getting very sluggish (more sluggish) on the hills I have a meter I have installed in the dash that I use to check the batteries but I do this after I remove it from the charger and let it sit for 1-12 hours. I had two individual batteries that were reading about 12.48 where 2 of them were much higher. Trojan support said to disconnect the two lower cells and charge each fully with a car charger (s used 2A). Both came back up to full charge and my SOC meter was showing 50.4 - 5.9. I also read about unplugging and re-plugging the charger to equalize. I did this and I read 50.5 to 51V. This is after about 12 hours off the charger. I took it for a 9 hole ride and we have some serious hills. It was fine but struggled a lot on the last big hill before I got home. I let it sit for 12 hours and read the charge and it was at 50.4. I double checked with a multieter and it's still 50.4. I was planning on shelling out the money for 4 new batteries but I'm confused. I need to be able to take 4 people around 9-18 holes (with beer and wine) and make it home. The voltages look pretty close to 95% but I just don't think that is correct. Any suggestions? I have a hydrometer but I've only used one once.
cclontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Multimeter reads 50.4 but is it time for new batteries?

What’s important to know is what is the voltage doing under load, for example, that steep hill? See if you can get a measurement while it is acting weak. Some alligator clips for your multimeter will help a lot for this.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
What’s important to know is what is the voltage doing under load, for example, that steep hill? See if you can get a measurement while it is acting weak. Some alligator clips for your multimeter will help a lot for this.

The SOC meter is always running while the cart is on. It dips to about 43V on the wort of the the hills. The hills would be brutal to walk up. If I am driving along it runs from about 49.x to 46.x
Old 07-26-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Interesting. My Yamaha drive (200 has brand new batteries and on flat ground it stays around 48, but going up hill it can drop to around 44. Note that we don’t have very steep hills here.

Dropping down to 43 on a very steep hill doesn’t seem awfully bad. How old are those batteries?

Old 07-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Multimeter reads 50.4 but is it time for new batteries?

I would be tempted to say that is normal, since the stock MORIC controller in the YDRE isn’t very strong, but you said the problem just started?

Old 07-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Interesting. My Yamaha drive (200 has brand new batteries and on flat ground it stays around 48, but going up hill it can drop to around 44. Note that we don’t have very steep hills here.

Dropping down to 43 on a very steep hill doesn’t seem awfully bad. How old are those batteries?

The batteries have been in the cart for the 15 months I've had it. I am sure they were some that the "dealer" just threw in. I was getting readings of about 40% charge after 9 holes (riding not playing) but then since I've been trying to get these batteries evened out it just seems odd to be at almost where I started after 9 holes. There are about 4 hills that are extremely steep and while it makes it up with 2 people, it's close to dying by the time it hits the top. Last year I was doing these hills with 4 people (slowly) but it always muscled through. I think it was faster with 4 people last year than 2 people this year.

And yeah this Moric is terrible but I'm not ready to spend the cash on a controller upgrade if I have to buy new batteries. I do have a pain threshold :)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just had a dealer put the speed code on mine and it makes it a lot more bearable.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

43 volts up a hill? The car should "shut down" at that low of voltage. Most battery companies stamp a letter and number on the lead terminals, ie: E2 (witch would be 5/2012 or 5/2002). Even well taken care of 12 volt battery cars they only last 4/5 years. A "down load machine" is the best, but, you can jack up the car, with volt meter on battery set, start to run the car and slightly push on the brake (to simulate load). Once you get the voltage drop, do the test on each battery to find the weak on or ones. But...If you find one or 2 batteries weak, do not replace them if the batteries are 2 years old or more. Because charging equalizes the battery pack, after several charges and discharges, the new batteries will be as old as the originals. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #9
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

I managed to borrow a load tester and I tested each of the 4 batteries. Three of them came out super strong and one was very weak. I also used a small tester that drops into each cell and shows red or green. Two of the cells of the week battery looked questionable. I know the question of replacing one battery has been addressed here before but is there a way to find a used but strong replacement for this one cell to maybe push out replacing 3 super strong batteries?

I also contacted ScottyB and once I sort this out I'm going to bite the bullet and get an Alltrax. Thanks for the help Scotty.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i would say you need to talk to some GC shops/battery places that sell Trojan and see if they have used battery around the same age as the ones you have now .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha