lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Piston on g1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I don't know if you've done it or not yet, but if replacing the rings, definitely run a hone through the cylinder first or it will likely be a wasted effort.

The original rings will wear themselves in (seat). They leave their mark in the cylinder and if you replace the rings, the new ones will not seat correctly because of the tiny (invisible to the naked eye usually) scratching/seating from the old rings where they seated/mated to the cylinder wall. Running a hone through the cylinder will cut out the vertical "scratches" from the old rings, and replace with new horizontal "scratches" and give the new rings a fresh surface in which to seat. Hones are cheap and it only takes about 30 seconds to do it.
Everytime.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #32
franchise78
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well I did not hone it, but I did manage to break a head bolt. So I still have time to hone it now. Thanks again for the advice.
franchise78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #33
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise78 View Post
Well I did not hone it, but I did manage to break a head bolt. So I still have time to hone it now. Thanks again for the advice.
I did that once. A helicoil will get you fixed up.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #34
franchise78
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Yeah I got lucky and found another at a shop around here. It matched nice from a snowmobile. I’m just bummed cuz it took divine intervention to get the piston in the cylinder the first time lol.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #35
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Advice: buy only Yamaha head gaskets. I finally finished my half-assed rebuild. Waited for all Yamaha gaskets. The base gasket and intake gaskets were pretty much the same except the Yamaha gasket had a bit more girth to it. But the off brand head gasket compared to the Yamaha gasket is night and day. The Off brand is just a paper gasket with a metal ring. The Yamaha gasket has a piece of mesh metal pressed between paper. It’s only slightly thicker.
JerEazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #36
franchise78
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well hopefully it does ok because it’s put together now lol. I will do that when I gotta tear down again. Thanks for all the help
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha