lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
csullivan
Not Yet Wild

Default 85 needs an exhaust

The saga with my inherited 85 club car continues. So far I’ve got it running by replacing the micro switches, followed redoing the wiring and reterminating where appropriate.

Once it was starting, followed that up by changing out the clutches to later models. To get the drive clutch off I had to pull the engine entirely to make room for the impact gun, turned into quite to ordeal. Yes, marine grade anti seize went on before I put things back together.

Now we’re moving. Governor setup up was limited to 10ish mph, a couple adjustments and it now idles nicely with smooth starts and will do 20ish on flats.

But it’s loud. Like, hear it coming blocks away comically loud. While I’m fairly sure it’s leaking at the gaskets, the muffler itself is in terrible shape and I’m betting it’s blown out. I’ve tried finding one, and everyone listed them as out of stock. The one place that finally showed them in hand emailed me today to let me know the item was discontinued and they’d refunded me.

What are my options? Full custom? Anything else that will work? It’s a two stroke, so exhaust choices can affect how it runs, so I’m hesitant to just redneck engineer it, but **** it’s loud. And it sort of stinks, so it’s likely running super rich on top of it.

Last edited by csullivan; 06-19-2020 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: A letter
csullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 85 needs an exhaust

For the record, it’s not a 2-stroke. The KF82 engine is a 4-stroke. I would post in the big block section. Lots of guys are ditching the KF82 motor for larger motors and not using their old mufflers.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I don’t know how well this would work for the KF82. But one our guys who did a big block swap used this muffler and seemed to have good results:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphart View Post
Old 06-19-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Vegas Carts suggested this muffler in their FAQs to quiet their big block motors:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-18192
Old 06-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I used a walker 22229 on a Polaris 4wheeler that I bought with no muffler at all, and the moron cut the pipe at the joint where the flange was so I couldnt go with an OEM muffler without replacing the entire exhaust...

It was surprisingly quiet. I was pretty impressed with the outcome. Golf cart would be even quieter.

Those kf82 mufflers are very hard to find, due to where they're mounted they rust and rot out. You'll probably have to DIY but if the pipe running to the back isnt cracked or blown out, I'd think you should be able to get way with just replacing the muffler
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
csullivan
Not Yet Wild

That’s two for the 22229, good enough for me. Plus “quiet flow” seems like it has more promise than “soundfx” for a muffler style. For now.

No welder, so I’ll try a band clamp, add some copper sealant if needed.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Let us know how it works out and how you mounted it.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
csullivan
Not Yet Wild

Been taking pictures of everything.

Tags
exhaust, muffler
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car