lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad Starter/Generator or Engine Issue?

My starter generator has a lot of trouble getting past the compression stroke. It will initiate, and either slip the belt, or slow chug a few quarter turns, or just do nothing. Sometimes, if I hold long enough, it will end up starting.

I think I fried it with a bad voltage regulator. Here is a rough sequence of my stupidity:
6/20 - new starter brushes
7/20 - new cheapo starter
7/20 - new battery, new voltage regulator
8/20 - new quality starter
3/21 - fill dry battery
6/21 - warranty starter replacement, fill low battery
8/21 - new voltage regulator, new starter brushes

I did the voltage regulator last week and was still having starter issues.
I took it apart and saw the brushes were shot so I put new ones on last night, but it's still doing the same thing.

Could I have ruined the starter with a bad VR? Does a bad VR cause more starter damage than just brushes?

I adjusted the valves, and they are spot on. But the engine is very hard to turn over even by hand. What could make the engine so hard to turn over?

Thanks,
Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Bad Starter/Generator or Engine Issue?

I did new brushes in the starter. I also sprayed some contact cleaner on the part the brushes contact after blowing it with the air compressor...but I didn't sand it or do anything else. It wasn't blown apart like one I saw in the past. Would it be very beneficial to take it back out and disassemble it and clean it? Could a little bit of carbon cause my issue?

Seems like that's my only option, but I just don't see that getting me a whole lot, but I don't know much about them.

Thanks,
Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Bad Starter/Generator or Engine Issue?

Check all of your battery cables positive and especially your ground cables.
The engine and cradle are rubber isolated and the grounds are very important.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car