lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1996 DS Backfiring

I recently purchased a 1986 DS with the FE290 motor. The cart is hard to get going and backfires a lot. Sometimes while moving and other times while trying to start. I checked the butterfly on the carb and cleaned it up, I believe it is closing all the way. I have also replaced the plug, air filter, and fuel filter.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely a great site for information on these things!
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1996 DS Backfiring

A follow up thought here, I had the carb off and the gasket that is between the carb and heat shield didn't look in very good shape. Where can I get one of these?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
miferrel
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnSS View Post
A follow up thought here, I had the carb off and the gasket that is between the carb and heat shield didn't look in very good shape. Where can I get one of these?
You should check with some of the forum sponsors. I'm sure one of them will have what you need.

To BGW
miferrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by miferrel View Post
You should check with some of the forum sponsors. I'm sure one of them will have what you need.

To BGW
I've been checking, haven't had much luck.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
miferrel
Gone Crazy

Club Car

Try J & M Golf Carts. They sell engines They are a sponsor If they don't have one, they can tell you where to go....
miferrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Will do, Thank you!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

As for your hard starting and backfiring issue, need to check compression first to determine your baseline.
With good compression pull the carb and give it a good cleaning,
I mean get a gallon of the "Gunk" brand carb cleaner, (comes with a basket in it), do a 100% teardown and soak it for an hour,
varnish build up will restrict jets and orifices and cause a lean, hard start condition.
Heavy varnish will actually change the weight of the float a cause issues. blow out and reassy.

Adjust the valves as well.

Welcome to the nuthouse!!!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
As for your hard starting and backfiring issue, need to check compression first to determine your baseline.
With good compression pull the carb and give it a good cleaning,
I mean get a gallon of the "Gunk" brand carb cleaner, (comes with a basket in it), do a 100% teardown and soak it for an hour,
varnish build up will restrict jets and orifices and cause a lean, hard start condition.
Heavy varnish will actually change the weight of the float a cause issues. blow out and reassy.

Adjust the valves as well.

Welcome to the nuthouse!!!!!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will tear down the carb today. I have a parts tank that I will soak the carb in. I hope to have new gaskets tomorrow.

I will need some further guidance if I need to adjust the valves. Done them on cars plenty of times, but not on small motors.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh yeah, what is a good compression number?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #10
HaulnSS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Completely dismantled the carb, soaked it, cleaned it and blew it out... No new gaskets yet. Had a lot of crud in the bowl. Put it all back together, was initially having some issues and realized I didn't tighten the nuts down on the carb... Made a nice mouse squeaking noise... The cart has not backfired yet, but it still is finicky on starting and as soon as you get ground speed, it cuts out, you slow down, it kicks back in. Sounds like the rev limiter ...right? Now, where is the darn thing??? I have found plenty of articles about it and removing the ground wire etc, but apparently I don't know where it is. I removed the ground wire on what I thought was the rev limiter, but it still cut out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car