lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO 26984 Total Charge III NEW PROBLEM

I ordered a new board for mine (would click on for a second, then click off. I bypassed relay and it came on and stayed on, so I ordered a new board).

The new board is a "red hawk" brand, and I put it in, charger popped on just like it's supposed to, stayed on......but doesn't seem to want to cut off now. I plugged it in this morning at 8 AM, batts shouldn't have been too discharged (charged them last week 2 at a time with my 12V charger), and the gauge showed about 4 amps at noon. Then when I went back at 6PM, still charging, still showing around 4 amps. I unplugged it at that point. When one of these automatic chargers doesn't shut off is the only culprit the board? Batts showed 38.8 volts about 30-45 min after unplugging the charger.
jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: EZGO 26984 Total Charge III NEW PROBLEM

Did you check all your connections? Sometimes a bad connection will cause it to run like that. So will a bad battery. Check all your batts with a voltmeter and post the results.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Did you check all your connections? Sometimes a bad connection will cause it to run like that. So will a bad battery. Check all your batts with a voltmeter and post the results.
OK. I'll do that tomorrow. Batts are getting older, but cart still runs fine. When you say check connections, do you mean inside the charger, or on the plug/receptacle, batteries, or ??.

FWIW, the old board was burned up by a worn out plug that wasn't getting a good connection in the receptacle. Clicked on and off enough to fry the relay. I've replaced the plug, and it's not getting hot at all, seems to be charging fine, just didn't act like it wanted to cut off. At 38.8 I figured the batts were ok, but I'll test them one at a time and post results.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes,roady Is Right And I Would Say You Have A Bad Battery.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Yes,roady Is Right And I Would Say You Have A Bad Battery.
6.33 6.27
6.35 6.36
6.33 6.35

Set showed 38.1 this morning.

I checked the connections and the neg wire felt loose on the receptacle (and that wire goes to - on the 6.27 batt)

I think I'll order a new receptacle for it, if for no other reason than I've tightened up the existing one a couple of times now but it doesn't stay tight. I think I plastic piece that holds everything in place might have broken off, because the + side of the plug stays tight.

I won't be using this cart until spring, but I don't want to have to babysit it all winter to keep the batts from discharging.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

OK, put a new receptacle on the cart yesterday. Plugged it in and it ran all night and was still going this am, so I took the newer set of batts off of my other cart (which is getting along fine with a total charge 1 charger), put them on this cart, put new cables on the batts, and hooked the charger back up. It's running now, and I'll check it in a few hours and see if it cuts off.

My question is would there be anything besides the board that could keep that charger from cutting off? Isn't the timer/ voltage sensor in the board? The thing is charging, the capacitor is good, new board, but it just doesn't seem to want to shut off. What are the chances I got a bad board and would that cause this problem?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Still running at 5pm yesterday. Ampmeter showed about 2amps. This set of batts has been hooked up to a Total Charge 1 that has been cutting itself on and off properly, so the batts should have been charged before hooking them up to the Total Charge III, but the charger still ran for 7 hours before I unplugged it. Is there anything OTHER than the board/ bad connection/ bad battery that can cause a charger to run and not cut off? I've emailed the guy who sold me the board to see if he has any insight.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Just to update, sent the original board back to ebay seller, who sent me another board out. Same result. I've got new plug, new recepticle, new cables, batteries that work fine with another total charge charger (which logically eliminates a bad battery) and the thing will still run for the full 16 hour cycle after I plug it in, regardless of the charge on the batteries. If the batteries are lightly discharged and I plug the charger in, it will run for 16 hours.

I've kept the batteries topped off with an old Lester manual timer charger through the winter. Like to get the auto charger working for the season.

Anyone know who made the OEM boards? The one I got on ebay was a Red Hawk brand. I've seen some advertised that are made by intercoastal. Who made the original charger boards?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Intercoastal sold out to nivel a couple of yrs. ago.I use the boards from red hawk as a matter of fact I used one about a month ago in the same charger.It works fine,You can hook a voltmeter to your cart and drive it around and watch the voltage and see how far it drops.I have seen battery chargers not cut off when batteries arent broke in yet also.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
jeepwm69
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
I have seen battery chargers not cut off when batteries arent broke in yet also.

Well I've got two different sets of batteries. One is about 5-6 years old and the other is 3-4 years old. My total charge 1 will shut off after before running more than 5-6 hours on either bank of batteries after 9 holes of golf.

Thanks for the reply.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO