lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
cpradde
Not Yet Wild

Default G9/J38 Bent Push Rod

I have a 1992 J38/G9. I was getting some backfire after new carb, muffler, and checked everything else. Also has a leaky head gasket. That's where I discovered the bent push rod. Does anybody know the torque spec for the head bolts and torque pattern to reinstall them? I also fear a wharped head! Is it possible to use gasket goop???? or silicone gasket material to make sure the head gasket doesn't leak. The shroud was also pretty damaged, I am trying to figure a way to make sure its gets air from the fan and I also need a suggestion for how and where to mount the coil.

P.S.
These are the specs since I started working on this buggie:
Oct: Not running, just received.
Running: top speed: 13.1 MPH (Gov Manually Max)
New Muffler: 13.5 MPH
New Carb Jets and Nozzle: 14.3 MPH
Speed Spring: 16.2 MPH (Replaced Gov)
4 inch lift with 20 inch tires: 18.3 MPH
cpradde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: G9/J38 Bent Push Rod

For the work involved I would have the head surfaced and be done with it,
You can glue a piece of 100 grit on a very flat surface and slide the head across it to check high/low spots.
If it isn't to bad go ahead and hand surface it that way then go back and do it with 220 grit.
Use a good straight edge and check the top of the cylinder as well.

Check the for sale/want to buy section here for a shroud that fits your motor.
Should be plenty laying around from engine swaps or big block upgrades.

Coil can mount anywhere as long as the plug wire will reach. It is internally grounded because factory mounts it on the plastic shroud.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

try this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...arts-sale.html
Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Nothing will hold a gasket in a warped head, don't even try. Get that back together right, check compression and see where you are at. Should be faster than that. I can hit 30 on the road gps with 22 tires, so you should not be that far under that what 25 maybe?
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
cpradde
Not Yet Wild

I checked the head with a mechanics rule and then a flat surface. It appears to be good. I will resurface the head when I put in new rings in the future. Til then I will install a tach, I need to know what is a reasonable speed or RPM in order to set the speed spring and I found the valve cover torque specs. Where can I find the head torque specs or should I just tighten it evenly as tight as I can manually? Thanks for ya'lls help...I got a bet with an E-Z-Go guy and I would hate to win by pulling it behind my truck!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

tighten to 20 ft pounds starting with the one in the center
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

If you're pulling, run the rear air low as possible and make sure to get a video of the pull off!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
cpradde
Not Yet Wild

Crash thanks for the sandpaper trick, I had forgot about that and it worked! I found the exhaust off at the outlet, but I can manage that! Just might smell a bit. In a couple years I will go big bore anyway. Think may Dad has the perfect motor for the project...An old Onan from a 16kw generator, that would be cool if I can get it done, just hope my mower doesn't need it before then.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lawnmowers can blow head gaskets if the carb gets the idle jet plugged or otherwise runs too lean. Not seen it in carts but the engines are similar.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
cpradde
Not Yet Wild

The jet was plugged when I replaced it and plugged with good ole fashion varnish. Ain't no kinda a carb cleaner that could even fix that; hence the purpose of rebuilding or disassembling to clean!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha