lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
roachmt
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Smoking

I am new to the forrum, I have a 96 G16 that I have not used in about 2 months, I went out to play golf today and it fired right up and off I went to the clubhouse. It takes about 45 seconds to get to the clubhouse. After I checked in I went to go to the driving range and the cart started smoking and spraying oil out of the muffler!

Has anyone ever seen this before? Do I need to complete a valve job and how hard is that? It still has great compresion and has plenty of power.

Thanks,

Marcus
roachmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Smoking

you can check and re adjust your valves set at 0.004'' also could be the rings, oil blow by? or a crank seal gone somwere to spray oil out? dave/crash/sprid any ideas? i would check your compression to see if theres rings left.
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachmt View Post
I am new to the forrum, I have a 96 G16 that I have not used in about 2 months, I went out to play golf today and it fired right up and off I went to the clubhouse. It takes about 45 seconds to get to the clubhouse. After I checked in I went to go to the driving range and the cart started smoking and spraying oil out of the muffler!

Has anyone ever seen this before? Do I need to complete a valve job and how hard is that? It still has great compresion and has plenty of power.

Thanks,

Marcus
Welcome! Probably what happened was a peice of dirt got into the carb, causing the float to stick. Check the oil level, if to high and smells like gas, thats it. Recomend taking off air cleaner box and clean the oil out, remove and clean the carb, replace the fuel filter (I recomend Yamaha's-it's very high micron), drain oil and replace with one qt. After this the longer you run the car, the oil/gas will be pushed and burnt out of the muffler (you can put it in nuetral "half was between f & r" and run the car for 5 minutes, let it cool down and repeat). Good luck, let us know what you find. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Had the same thing happen to my G16. The cause in my cart was build up in the fuel pump and trash in the carb float area. Pulled the bowl on the carb. and cleaned and also took apart my fuel pump and cleaned it out (it was really full of sandy grit and had to use a pocket screwdriver to scrap it out). Anyway, your problem is too much fuel and its dumping over into your crankcase. Check the oil level, probably way overfull and full of fuel. Do like Dave suggests. I would change the oil, run it for about 5 min's and then change it again. It will take a while for it to burn out of the muffler also. And your airbox is going to need a thorough cleaning as well and you may need a new spark plug.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
sabercat
gone yamaha!

Yamaha

that makes sence! i never thought it would have been a stuck float. so how does the extra fuel get into the crank case if its running?
sabercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabercat View Post
that makes sence! i never thought it would have been a stuck float. so how does the extra fuel get into the crank case if its running?
The extra gas has no were to go other than "wash" past the rings into the crankcase. I've them run them so long that the engine "locks up"! It litteraly fills the cylinder. Took the spark plug out and turned over the engine.....gas and oil "spray's" every where (at least the first time, till I got smarter and held a rag over the hole)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Is this an issue with a Jakes kit? As soon as the big brown truck comes in I will be putting it on?
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by breugel View Post
Is this an issue with a Jakes kit? As soon as the big brown truck comes in I will be putting it on?
Which direction was your steering wheel last time you put air in your tires?? I'd also check the retainer clips on the cup holder.

What would trash in the bowl of a carb or fuel pump have to do with a Jakes lift??

Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
Which direction was your steering wheel last time you put air in your tires?? I'd also check the retainer clips on the cup holder.

What would trash in the bowl of a carb or fuel pump have to do with a Jakes lift??
I was talking about where someone suggested that the angle of the carb causing problems....

I can guarantee you there is no trash in my fuel system now.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by breugel View Post
I was talking about where someone suggested that the angle of the carb causing problems....

I can guarantee you there is no trash in my fuel system now.
Oh.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha