lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Longhorn24
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default FR Switch Melting Cable

So my EZ GO is lifted and going slow up hills. I sent a recent post to get info as to see if everybody thinks I should get 4 gauge cables or new batteries. One of the big problems was the old cable going to the batteries was getting extremely hot. Well, I ordered new 4 gauge cables and put them on over the weekend. That solved the problem with the cables getting hot. I'm still going pretty slow up hills so I figure I just need new batteries (I have 05 batteries in my cart).

New problem though, I smelled something burning after I rode the cart. I took the cover off the FR Switch and the A Cable going to the controller was melting. The bolt holding on the cable was extremely hot (couldn't even touch it). What would be causing this. The rest of the cables on the FR Switch were a little hot but I think it is just because of that one bolt were the A cable is connected. It was black all the way through the FR Switch. What should I do????
Longhorn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: FR Switch Melting Cable

so did you replace the cables on the f-n-r switch to 4 gas also. If you did than i woudl say that when you tightened down the nuts you stretched the copper lug abd the wire vibrated loose.

I would replace the f-n-r switch to a HD unit, install all new 4ga wires (everyone) and than save for a new set of batteries.

with 05 batts you are way down on power even with trojans
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Longhorn24
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, I replaced all the cables. I bought the 4 gauge kit from EZ GO and replaced all of them. B,C & D connections on the FR Switch were good but again the bolt on the A connection was burning and turning black. It melted the outer cover of the 4 gauge cable on the A connection. Just wondering why that one bolt is getting so hot. It's not hot at all where it is connected to the controller????
Longhorn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Santacruzslick
Getting Wild

It's most likely a burnt out FnR switch. I had the same problem with my 99 ezgo. It happens, just replace the switch and you will be golden. Over time connections get corroded and the resistance goes up. Higher resistance=higher energy loss through heat=melted wires.
Santacruzslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
GeoJoe
Getting Wild

Star

That FNR is your weakest link. You need to make sure you have the heavy duty buss bars on the cam. Also, tighten down the nuts on the cam until you can't go any further. They bottom out on the springs and this will give you the most contact possible from the cam to the plate. The copper contacts are usually what goes first.

Also, make sure you have very tight connections on the cables coming from "A" (and the rest) because as soon as you have any loose connection, the heat sets in and starts the process of burning golf cart parts... what a sweet smell

So if you order a new cam or FNR plate, might as well get a couple of them. You can also migrate the entire unit to solenoids with flip switches instead of a manual FNR, but this gets expensive.
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO