lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 36v to 48v conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
I understand that, but you fail to realize I design, build, and test EV's for a living for the last 2 year, and 30 years experience in industrial motors and controls as an engineer. So I might know something.
Have ANY of the EV's or forklifts you have been involved in ever run a trail, navigated a mudbog, or dragged a 10 point buck 4 miles out of the backcountry to camp? How about driving in deep sand or bouncing off slickrock domes? Launching a boat or jet ski, pulled a bush hog on the back forty? How many? Where are these wonderful vehicles you made, and what can they do? And can they do it with four adults onboard with a bumpin' stereo? I respect your engineering degree. Now show me your application of this education on the carts you have built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
It is a shame you as a moderator support such bashing of newbs who could bring a lot to this forum. You guys seem more intent on running off folks than building a memebership. It is a Good Ole Boy Network where only a few are allowed to answer without ridicule huh? Your egos get in the way. If you relly want to get good sound info on the EV filed I suggest you look at this forum. It is made up from professionals in the EV industry. You might be surprized and learn something from folks who are designing the EV's of today and tommorow.
And you seem intent on a self destructive bout with oneupmanship. I am not a moderator here, nor do I pretend to speak for the owners, or anyone else for that matter. I speak for ME. The mebership speaks for itself, all 26,116 (and growing every day) of them. THEY will decide how you are welcomed. This is also a forum with a social side to it. People come and go because they either like it here, or they don't. So, you can either embrace the so-called Good Ole Boy Network, or you can.....................continue doing what you do.

My only concern is whether or not the original poster's question has been addressed.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb770 View Post
Oh no, another Engineering God!?
Point taken with a grain of salt. However i did not throw the first punch, nor did i attack anyone personal until attacked first.

I came here just over a year ago and tried to participate in an informative mater with explinations of the science behind it. Remember it is us MAD SCIENTIST that gave you this stuff to tinker with However a few individuals, some commenting here now, did not care for educated answers or the science behing their hobby. They ran me off, and i am not the only one who feels this way.

The problem is there are just a few individuals mostly a couple of regulars and staff admin that get offended when you try to offer contrary advice that does not fit their agenda and logic I guess they think if proven wrong they will loose thier status or affraid to learn something.

In this thread for example if you install a larger motor, and smaller batery capacity, your run time will be less. Now you want to call me names for pointing that out? i do not get it.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
My only concern is whether or not the original poster's question has been addressed.
OK the OP question was:
Quote:
I have Curtis 400 amp controller, heavy duty 36v solenoid, heavy duty f/r switch, 4 gauge wires all around and 8 hp 1600 rpm beast motor.

The cart has great torque now and runs about 12 to 14 mph but I would like more range. Can I upgrade the batteries only or do I have to upgrade the solenoid, controller and F/R switch as well? Have a feeling all these will need to be changed.
The only logical way to increase run time is to add more battery capacity or a larger gas tank. I assume you are running 6 T-105's which give you a capacity of 36 volts x 225 AH = 8100 WH. You can add two more T-105's for 48 volts and 10.8 Kwh capacity, but doing so will also require an controller and solenoid upgrade if they are not rated for 48 volts.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
nordburg1352
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

So I have 3 12 volt Gel cells rated at 350 amps that multiplies out to 12600. That being said why should we use 6 x 6 volt batteries if we can use 3 12v and get more watts
nordburg1352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #25
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordburg1352 View Post
So I have 3 12 volt Gel cells rated at 350 amps that multiplies out to 12600. That being said why should we use 6 x 6 volt batteries if we can use 3 12v and get more watts
Because they're in series and they don't add unless they are in a parallel configuration.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #26
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb770 View Post
My opinion of engineers is that they design most applications like they will never break, not sure if it is the God complex most of them have in thinking what "they create" will never be worked on, or broken ever in the history of time.
Not true at all, in fact your cart is designed to break down frequently with inferior technology. It is built with the least expensive parts that can be made, designed only to last a couple of three years.

For example if we wanted your buggy to last, we would never use an upgraded vacuum cleaner electric motor using DC series wound stator with brushes. They are made to fly apart, brushes wear out after a couple of hundred hours of use, and prone to over heating and extremely inefficient. Not to mention a negative torque coefficient as the torque decays as RPM goes up loosing power to 0 HP when at Red Line RPM.

Nope we use an AC 3-phase induction high voltage motor operated in a constant torque configuration from 0 RPM to Red Line RPM like any EV like the Tesla. The AC motor is almost impossible to wear out or destroy with the proper controls, and around 98 % efficient vs 75% for a brushed DC motor.

Nor would they use flooded lead acid batteries that have an energy density of 40 watt hours / kilogram, and can only be discharge to 50% with out damage, and an average life span of 3 to 4 years. Nope we would use Lithium –Ion with a density of 200 wh/kg 4 times that of FLA in ½ half the space and 1/3 the weight. They last 10 or more years, and can be discharged to 90% DOD with no loss in capacity or life span.

The reason is obvious why buggies do not have that technology, we cannot afford it yet. Well EZ-GO made a step in the right direction as the RXV uses a single phase 48 volt AC motor.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
It's one thing to work with electricity, and quite another to make these carts do what we want them to do. Your principals and formulas don't always apply to what happens when the pedal goes down. The guys you so easily dismiss have actually built carts that can do some amazing things. These same guys have been there and done that, with actual carts. They have learned from DOING, not simply going to school or working in a related industry. They win awards and set records, all by their own hands and efforts. Then guys like you come along, swing their dicks over their shoulders and quote Ohm's law. Please, until you have built and can display and PROVE your efforts, don't come here and trash the experts who give freely of their time and energy. Until then, it's simply hot air..........and there is a stiff breeze blowing today.
so very will said
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #28
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

whew! jim
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #29
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
whew! jim
You sparkies...........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #30
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

hey, mine is way quiet! anyway i bought just to have fun. jim
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO