lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Default Newbie here - Hi! What's mine worth?

First off, Hi, I'm a newbie from eastern NC. I believe my golf car is an 01 Club Car DS with gas engine. I bought it 5+ years ago from a local place that modifies them and sells them. Shortly after buying it, we bought an RV and started camping. Almost every campground we go to that allows golf cars requires them to be electric. So, I'm looking to sell my current car, on craigslist or something, and pickup a base electric model that I can enjoy modifying myself with lift kit and tires, light kit, rear seat, and maybe even a stereo, over time. I have the tools and ability to do it and feel I can do it a lot cheaper on my own than buying one already done up and have the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to ask for mine. Can someone here help me? As I said, I'm not sure but I believe it is an 01 model, give or take a year. It is painted bright red and has a lift kit with the knobby style tires on it. No fancy rims, just what appear to be stock rims with a plastic cover on each wheel. It also has a rear seat but it's not the fold down kind. It also has the integrated front headlights I see on a lot of club cars but no rear lights. It runs great and I have had the starter/generator replaced on it once and put in a new battery within the last year. The only flaws, other than a few minor scratches here and there are a cracked top, where my son tried to use it as a step to get on top of a roof, and the paint is chipped on the front hood section where something hit it and cracked it and about the size of a quarter or so of the paint is missing and is cracked around it. The seats are still in very good shape

I'm sure, ultimately, it is worth whatever it will sell for, but I'd like to know a good starting price so I don't give it away or ask way too much and get no interest in it. I really haven't been able to find similar gas models for sale to compare to. I know I paid almost $4000 for it 5 years ago and that did include a windshield which has since been broken and tossed. And a similar, slightly newer model, in my area would probably sell at the same dealer for about the same price.

Any advice would be appreciated. And if/when I sell it and buy another one, I look forward to coming back to this site for advice on fixing it up.
SaltLifeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Newbie here - Hi! What's mine worth?

Why not just put it up for a trade for an electric, you might get a good deal. As for what its worth, post up a pic
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

I was going to mention a possible trade in my ad. I'm away from home and don't have any pix yet but I am planning on getting some. Does it seem reasonable that I could sell the gas one, with the mods, for enough to cover a standard/stock electric cart with decent batteries and still have a few bucks left to put into the electric one? I'm seeing stock electric carts selling from 1400 - 1700 around here. Would be nice to get 2000 or a little more out of mine. Am I being reasonable or unrealistic?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

This is basically the same as my cart except mine is red and it has cheap wheel covers that used to be chrome but I will probably paint black and I no longer have a windshield. Take from that the crack in the top and the damaged paint I mentioned. But I do have the integrated headlights that aren't on this one pictured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clubcar.jpg (76.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

First thing is to check the stickies ^^^^^ at the top of the page and establish what year your cart is. If it is an 01 as you suspect then $2,000 is not an unreasonable price at all. From what I see in pricing, a nice electric with newer batteries and a charger at around the same age should be 1/3 cheaper than a gas powered version.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Chris thanks. I did see that sticky and plan to check that when I get back home, as well as clean my cart up and snap some pix. Is $2000 about right or could I ask a little more than that even?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would ask a little more, say,, $2250 and leave a little haggling room but in fairness I would say that 2k is about on the money for an 01 IN MY AREA. Some areas command higher prices so a quick nose around your area Craigslist adverts should give you a decent idea of fair market value.
Good luck with the sale and with finding a nice electric and don't forget to check the batteries, cables etc if and when you find something. They are very expensive to replace (batteries) and can easily cost as much as the cart is worth in some instances.

Chris.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Yeh, I'm hoping to find something with fairly new batteries. I know they are expensive. That's how I got talked into going with the gas cart. It was not a hard sell at the time because it was just for us and the kids to run around the neighborhood on. We didn't start the camping thing until later. We've been camping for 4 or 5 summers now and I think we've stayed at a grand total of 1 campground that allowed gas powered golf carts to be brought in. Everywhere else is electric only. What gets me is many of the electric cart places don't seem to mind people running around with music blaring on the electric carts so I'm not sure why the little bit of noise from a gas cart would be an issue.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I was fairly close already in thinking that $2200 or $2300 would be a fair asking price and maybe expect to take as little as $2000 to actually sell it. Hopefully that will give me enough to pick up a stock electric cart in good condition with a few hundred left over to put into that one.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
SaltLifeCC
Gone Wild

Based on the serial number, it appears mine is, in fact an 01 DS Gas (AG0147). I stopped by the place I bought it from today. His inventory sucks right now but I really don't want to get into a trade or even buy a fully equipped cart from them again anyway. They want $2500 for an 05 EZ-Go electric, literally right off the golf course. It even still had the divot repair shaker bottle still full of mix on the back of the cart. I figure an 05 is just about ready for a new set of batteries too. No thanks, I said.

Without looking at mine, he told me I should be able to get $2800 for mine or maybe $2500 with the top and paint damage I described to him. That's probably what he'd ask and maybe get but I doubt I can get it to bring that much. I guess we'll see.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sure, your cart is worth $2800 all day against an overinflated priced Electric from a dealer. The standard BS pattern as applied to every used car /cart dealer in the country.
Sell and buy privately, keep the dealer out of the loop but just remember to test extensivley and be prepared to negotiate. It sounds like you have a nice cart which (although doesn't meet your needs) is still worth a decent amount of coin. Don't give it up for a salesmans Lobster dinner.

Chris.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car