lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
cwhatter
Not Yet Wild

Default upgrading motor with existing speed resistor

I have an 88 ez go. I have upgraded the solenoid and F&R switch and put in 4g cables. Is it possible to put in a larger motor with the existing speed resistor setup?
cwhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: upgrading motor with existing speed resistor

I have an 82 ezgo that used to have resistors. I originally upgraded to 48v and cart ran great. But resistors and the creek waters don't mix, so I went to a controller. If I was you, I would raise the voltage to 48v before swapping motors out. Its a pleasant surprise and sounds like your cart is ready for some serious uuuumph.
There is plenty of info here on how to go 48v and how to charge on the cheap. Good luck.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Go to 48v as buckmanmike suggests before updating the motor. I went back to the stock 2hp GE motor from a D&D 8hp motor of the same rpm. The stock motor won't strain the electrics as much and they are capable of 70v or more depending on who you ask!
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
cwhatter
Not Yet Wild

I would like to keep my 36v setup, but am wondering which is a better upgrade, a new motor, or going to a controller setup. I am fine with the current speed, just want a little more torque for the hills. The cart wont be used offroad at all, but it is lifted with 22" tires.
cwhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I am not sure with the 88 model, but if your motor is perpendicular to axle, there is little choice of motor upgrades in the after market.. If you have the perpendicular setup, contact site sponsers for a motor rebuild and tell them what you want it to do.
EMP can rebuild your motor to a 2 speed setting motor. Torque or speed. Switchable on the fly.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

One more note to you. On the resistor set up when you hit full throttle it sends all the amps to the motor, thus you will gain no more torque swapping to controller at 36v. On my cart, when I went to 48v with resistors the front end would come off the ground on take off. When I went to controller, accelleration was much smoother, but no rise in front end, but my controller is not programmed to shoot full amps at initial throttle input.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
I am not sure with the 88 model, but if your motor is perpendicular to axle, there is little choice of motor upgrades in the after market.. If you have the perpendicular setup, contact site sponsers for a motor rebuild and tell them what you want it to do.
EMP can rebuild your motor to a 2 speed setting motor. Torque or speed. Switchable on the fly.
The 88 motor is parallel with the rear axle so he has many choices but most are not recommended/compatible with the resistor controller.
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO