lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Default Re: Why steel instead of aluminum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit View Post
Aluminum does corrode when exposed to the air (oxygen) over time but forms a layer of oxidation. Its called aluminum oxide. It a very hard metal that protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Its basically the same color and kind of difficult to notice. I agree on the welding. A poor weld will cause to crack but when done correctly will not have a problem much like on boat t-tops and very old planes which have proven to holdup over the years.

Unpressurized Aircraft live to a ripe old age because ALL parts get replaced many times over. Because they are so expensive it is worth the cost to repair them unlike your car or your cart. Modern pressurized aircraft have life cycle limits at which you replace the entire assemble, wing, fuselage, tail ect because of fatigue (stretching and bending). Both steel and aluminum have pros and cons. One is not better than the other just different!!!! Money is the driving factor behind corporate decisions. CC felt going with alu although more expensive initially, was best for their bottom line. Remember carts are only built to last, maybe 5 years. The cracks don't usually show up till after the lease is up. If CC wanted their frames to last longer they would be thicker and heavier.

Barry
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Scotty, on that same article that you received your information from in regards to "An aircraft's lifespan is measured not in years but in pressurization cycles". http://www.airspacemag.com/need-to-k...ifecycles.html , read further down and you will learn that "There are 747s out there that are 25 or 30 years old,".
The B-52 has been in service since 1955, and not 1 single original airframe exists anymore, they have all been replaced at least once from the inside out. Your 747's are handled the same way. Sure, they still fly the old ones, but the plane is NOT original anymore.

Quote:
In terms of aluminum and steel trailers (which I've had the experience of owning both), there are reasons that steel trailers are a thing of the past regardless of the rising cost of aluminum.
Pure nonsense. Really, steel will be in trailers as long as you and I walk this earth.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #13
easydoesit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I disagree.
Old planes have come apart due to stress cracks. An aircraft's lifespan is measured not in years but in pressurization cycles. Each time an aircraft is pressurized during flight, its fuselage and wings are stressed. Both are made of large, aluminum parts connected with fasteners and rivets, and over time, cracks develop around the fastener holes due to metal fatigue. In golf cart frames we see these stress cracks at the major frame welds.

Trailers with Aluminum frames also exhibit this stress cracking. Golf Carts are not spared. There are pluses & minuses. Enjoy the Club Car & check your battery frames often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
The B-52 has been in service since 1955, and not 1 single original airframe exists anymore, they have all been replaced at least once from the inside out. Your 747's are handled the same way. Sure, they still fly the old ones, but the plane is NOT original anymore.

Pure nonsense. Really, steel will be in trailers as long as you and I walk this earth.

Gorno, back to the beginning of the thread. The only reason I purchased a CC was because of use in RV park in the Fl keys near "salt water". That's why I'm using an alum BOAT trailer as an example. 90% of boat trailers used in salt water today are aluminum for this reason. They don't rust. Steel trailers even galvanized do rust and quickly with salt water use. Don't plan to have my golf cart for 20+ years but maybe 5 if that. Therefore, my thought was that it might be better to get an aluminum frame cart as opposed to steel in terms of using around salt water.
easydoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Gorno, back to the beginning of the thread. The only reason I purchased a CC was because of use in RV park in the Fl keys near "salt water". That's why I'm using an alum BOAT trailer as an example. 90% of boat trailers used in salt water today are aluminum for this reason. They don't rust. Steel trailers even galvanized do rust and quickly with salt water use. Don't plan to have my golf cart for 20+ years but maybe 5 if that. Therefore, my thought was that it might be better to get an aluminum frame cart as opposed to steel in terms of using around salt water.
And I support your choice. CC's decision to make aluminum carts was based solely on the number of courses and their proximity to coastal regions. They saw a need and filled it. Valid points throughout this thread.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We live in a arid climate and are grateful that Ezgo did not choose aluminum frame construction.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #16
Kidder
Gone Wild

Club Car

Its purely a matter based on location. I chose cc based on the aluminum frame, I just got done replacing a frame on a 01 txt for a friend. Replaced not repaired there wasnt a good part on it, but then again I can blame that partly on overlooking the fact that dirt and water was getting built up and left in the c-channel frame. I also have my cc due to price, (might as well of stole it)
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO