lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
AnotherProject
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default An easy way to tell what motor is in my cart?

Hey everyone, my name is Chris and I am new to golf carts and to this fourm. Been wanting a cart for awhile now and just picked up a '91 gas club car, it needs work......alot of work as a matter of fact. I was wanting to know if there is a way to tell what motor I have as the only markings on it are the factory clubcar sticker. The place I got it from said they ran it low on oil and had there maintance guy tear it down and that just what he did......the motor was in a box. Also the rod has got some scuffing on it but the crank looks good, does anybody make bearings for these rods where I could have the crank turned/polished and then install like a 10 under bearing in a new rod. Thanks for any insight you can provide, this site has alot of useful information on it and I am looking forward to AnotherProject.
Chris.

PICT0880.JPG

PICT0883.JPG

PICT0884.JPG
AnotherProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: An easy way to tell what motor is in my cart?

Is that the old flathead engine?
That cart was made to drop a bigger motor in
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Yep, what Scotty said... Big Block it!!!!
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
AnotherProject
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Is that the old flathead engine?
That cart was made to drop a bigger motor in
Funny you should mention that, I was pricing a new Honda motor and was kinda shocked at the price so then I started looking on Craigslist at used quads to see if I could find like a 250 four stroke automatic or something but that would require quite a bit of fab work.......not that I cant do it, it's just a matter if I want to get that involved. I'm not looking for a Formula1 cart just something to cruz around at the lake with. I will take some pics of my current motor and maybe that would help in telling what it is.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

1991 had the flat head engine or so they say as i have a 90 model CC and in 92 is when they changed to the ohv engine. The flat head engine is good, i had my doubts on mine but its good enough until I want to put a lift etc..... I would spend the money and put a big block engine but which one depends on your budget. How much did you get it for?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
ckiguy
Bad *** Speller!

Club Car

if the motor sits at a angle with a valve cover, its the fe290 0r 350 ohv engine. if the head is on top, its the flat head.
ckiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

The 91 was the last year for the FZ340 (KF-82) flathead engine.

Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
AnotherProject
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
How much did you get it for?
Got it for nada, nothing, zip, goose egg , Just had to haul it away. Was doing some work in a huge warehouse and was messing around with one of the warehouse big wigs when he pulled up in a cart and I said to him "hey where's my golf cart at". At the end of the day he comes up to me and asked if I really was looking for a golf cart and I said well sure if the price was right. So he takes me up to the third floor and says you want this one, and I asked how much and he says "I appericate all your hard work around here and the money your saving us, it's yours, free" yeah baby!

Some pics of the motor, I think you are right about it being a flathead. What kind of HP are we talking here and how fast will it shove this thing with 2 adults and my dog riding around.
PICT0891.JPG

PICT0892.JPG

PICT0893.JPG

PICT0894.JPG
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Great find, I agree Big Block it, go check out the Tom at CPP, he has a whole kit I believe that would drop into that thing.. site sponsors.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I dont think this engine has a low torque stock, but my gov or limiter is not working. I put a tiny tach on it and can rev it past 4000 rpms easy up to i dont recall. Has top end but seems to lack low end grunt compared to my 99 ohv engine or maybe its just me. If I have a non running cart like you and wanna budget build it, I would do a clone swap.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car