lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
rlsahr
Not Yet Wild

Default Runs then quits then runs then quits

Hi all. Well, here we go again. 1984 2 stroke will not fire...again.
We have fuel to the plug (its wet when we pull it out). We have spark at the plug when testing it outside of the chamber. We have 100 psi compression after top end rebuild. We have new rear crankseal. It was running great Sunday after we put a KNOWN good plug in it then went to back it out and it wont fire... again however fuel is coming out of the air filter side of the carb as well as into the motor. Put in a brand new plug and still nothing. It will turn over all day but will not fire. Checked the ground points all seem to be good. I am at a total loss. Thanks sooooooo much in advance for any help. I am close to hauling it away.
rlsahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Runs then quits then runs then quits

Is it always the case that the plug fires outside the cylinder but not in? If so, I speculate that maybe the plug lead is worn and is shorting out against the muffler or another part of the body. It may also be that the plug lead is not quite screwed into the coil so as you bend it to get it into line with the spark plug hole it breaks contact.
You could try cranking it in the dark and seeing if there are any sparks where there shouldn't be.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave is right. That is a possible cause. Also, since the spark plug is getting wet (gas and oil), it can't fire. Resolve the issue of the plug "getting wet".

Remove the plug. Start the cart (jacked for precaution). This will expel all the gas and oil inside the cylinder and combustion chamber. Do this for like a minute or so or until you don't see any gas/oil coming out of the spark plug hole. Then replace the plug (wipe it dry). Re-start.
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
rlsahr
Not Yet Wild

I was suspecting that the plug was not firing in the hole. Last night I took the plug out, found the oldest crappiest one I had and installed it. She fired up but slooooowly and it takes several seconds for the motor to start turning fast enough to engage the clutch. However, she will not fire in reverse. (I think the golf cart is a she because its so tempermental. I am a she as well so I would know ) New shorter plug wire?
Thanks again for all your help!
rlsahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO