lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
mortimer
Getting Wild

Default different volt regulator?

I have been helping my father-in-law with his '01 CC villager. Serial starts KG0140. It is not charging. I wanted to help test the starter/generator but he swore it was the brushes. I took it off checked them and they were fine. He didn't want me to put it back on, and had it checked at a dealer. It's ok. So now he goes ahead and orders a voltage regulator. I was a tad frustrated cause I could have checked myself. Anyway, this weekend he's putting the starter back on and I take the black box lid off to put on the new regulator. Might as well. The wiring is a mess. There is no bolt holding the regulator in and there is a relay stuffed in there too. My guess was the relay was for the fuel meter. Upon carefully pulling everything, I get at the regulator and it is different from his new one. And from the diagrams I see on here. The diagrams show 4 wires coming out of it, 2 of which are black and appear to be spliced from one shortly after coming out of the box, a red and a yellow. Like the new one. His old one has an extra wire on the opposite corner that is blue. It runs to one of the smaller bolts on the solenoid. Where the black splits into 2, his is splits into I believe 4. Those black ones run, to the frame ground, to a microswitch and 2 to that relay.

I just got home from the campground and jumped on the computer to find a diagram and figure this out. Is there a different regulator? Or has someone rigged something on this? I can see why there would be a relay for the guage, If that is how it hooks up. Haven't dealt with guages yet. But am confused at what this wiring is on his cart. It ran fine for the last few years,
and everything still works properly. Just won't charge.

I take that back, Last year I did notice his lights would suddenly dim for a few seconds and then brighten up again. But every once in a while. Like a bad or corroded ground. Now they won't get bright at all.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: different volt regulator?

is the new regulator the black one thats longer than the one it the cart? it should wire the same other than the 2 black wires that are togather.....one of them is a lot longer than the other one i think? its been awhile but if thats the one i never use the longer black wire i just tape it up and leave it in there.......have never had an issue with the cart not charging by leaving that wire out of the picture................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
mortimer
Getting Wild

The one regulator itself is longer than the new one. The old has 4 blacks coming out and the new only 2. And the old has that extra blue that goes to the solenoid. New one has no blue wire. I have searched around and see none for club cars that have that blue wire. They all have Red, Yellow and the split black one. I contemplated splicing that black again for the extra 2 but don't know what that blue one is, or what would happen without it. The black I imagine would be a ground since one goes directly to the frame.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

are you sure its a C.C. voltage regulator? cause the new one should be longer than the old one......i would double check it may be a generic but i havn,t seen one of them...........the C.C. one is the same as the old but longer with 1 extra black wire that you don,t have to use....................
Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
mortimer
Getting Wild

I am not sure the old one is a C.C. The new one came from a dealer and is about 2 inches square. They both look the same other than the length and the extra blue and black wires on the old one. With that relay in there the way it was, obviously someone has messes with it. Just a bit confused on the blue wire to the solenoid mostly. And like i said I can splice that black one again.

Maybe I should send an email to Club Car. I have the feeling we are going to have to find exactly what the relay is for. Then unhook it. Put the new regulator on and check to be sure it is working right. Without the blue wire.
Then rewire whatever the relay is for.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

can you post a pic of it? that would help ..........................
Old 06-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
mortimer
Getting Wild

Well, it's at our camper now. But I can tell you that the box looks the same, just rectangular and about 1/2 longer than the new, which is square. Same metal or aluminum casing and that epoxy filler covering the electronics. Blue wire comes out other end than the others. There are no numbers on either. Blue goes to one of the small studs on solenoid. The red and yellow are routed like the diagrams. And 2 of the blacks also.

I messaged Club Car to see what they have to say. Might take a day or so before they return anything.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i wanted to see the relay you said was in there....................
Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
mortimer
Getting Wild

I am finally finding a little more info that might help.
This thread talks about a keystart cart.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ooolenoid.html

Sounds like our regulator. Need to find a part #. Plus I see he's got a villager listed under his posts. I don't remember starting it with a key, ever. Maybe that's is a clue about the regulator being bad. Of course someone might have changed the keyswitch in this thing. Gonna have to call the father-in-law when he gets home tonight.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

that would answer a few things..............................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car