lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #1
JHamilton
Not Yet Wild

Default Folding windshield question

Hey everyone! My brother and I purchased an early '90's (I think!) DS for my parent's 40th anniversary. We did a "ground up" restoration on it and my brother purchased a folding windshield for it as the solid one that came on it was cracked. We didn't put the windshield on until I towed it to its final location today. When we started to install, I found that the frame on this cart is about 1/4" wider than the brackets supplied with the kit. I double checked and confirmed we purchased the correct kit. This leads me to believe that this may not be the original top.

Can anyone take a look at the picture below and tell me anything about this top. Maybe there is another windshield that will work? I know it is hard to tell from this picture but it is the best I have right now. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

JHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Folding windshield question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
This leads me to believe that this may not be the original top.
From the ones I have seen, it looks like a top that someone has built.

The factory top is made from plastic and mounts farther forward on the cowl than the one you have.

There are a couple of pictures in this thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...questions.html

The supports on yours also look larger than the factory ones too.

Hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
JHamilton
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks Scott! Yeah, it is nothing like the Club Car tops... or any other manufacturer that I can find. I think it is put together a little too well not to have rolled off a factory line somewhere. It must be off another cart? Or do you know if aftermarket tops are available? I wasn't able to find any with a quick search.

Below is a picture of the back. Anyone recognise this thing?

Old 07-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There were two frames for the CC DS iirc. One is similar to yours and the other utilised additional support brackets attached to the forward cowl mounting points in an attempt ( I assume) to counter the top swaying around. Kinda hard to tell from the pictures but your frame looks to be of a larger gauge than standard and also seems to be wider which would explain why the windshield wont fit. If the plexiglass section of your windshield fits across the frame however, perhaps a little fabrication would get the job done ?
Sorry I can't be of more help.
The cart looks very nice btw

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if your careful enough you can mount the W/S right to the frame, just secure the bottom half so it still folds but with a drill some stainless screws and washers you,ll be done in 15 minutes.......you can also make a latch setup for the uper half so you can have it up when needed, either that or find another front frame rail............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
JHamilton
Not Yet Wild

I really appreciate the responses guys! My knowledge of golf carts extends to this one. In fact, this is the first one I've ever driven. This little booger is fighting us the whole way!

I'm having my brother check the size, but I think it works... which is weird too. If it does I will use an rotorary tool to cut the plastic not needed on the hardware and mount to the frame.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you guys are gonna do your own work my best peice of advice is spend the money and get the service manual for the cart.....not the owners manual but the service manual...........it will save you time money and grief beleive me its worth every penny.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
if you guys are gonna do your own work my best peice of advice is spend the money and get the service manual for the cart.....not the owners manual but the service manual...........it will save you time money and grief beleive me its worth every penny.............................
I second this suggestion! The service manual I borrowed from a good friend of mine for my gas powered DS has already saved me from messing something up!!!

-Scott H.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
JHamilton
Not Yet Wild

I will definitely pick one up, thanks for the suggestion. It is running great right now, hopefully it will stay that way. Y'all know how that goes though.

I've been podering buying one myself to tool around Road Atlanta. I think it would look pretty slick with a Gulf livery, whaddya think?

Here's an off the wall question... I see lots of folks that lift their carts. Can you lower one? I think it would look cool (at least funny) to slam one. Maybe tuck the tires.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I think it would look cool to slam one. Maybe tuck the tires.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/road-golf-carts/

Yep, there are some NICE looking ones on here!

Personally, I can't do one because of my yard / drive way clearance, but I do like how they look with the tires about an inch or two away from the wheel wells.

-Scott H.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car