lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
kdubya
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 Gas EZGO having a problem..help

A few days ago the kids and I were riding in the cart, stopped after about a mile to look at some animals. I almost immediately depressed the accelerator and got nothing, just a click noise. The radio and headlights were still on. After about a minute, it got going again. Yesterday, I took the cart out of the garage. It started fine. after backing it up I stopped for a minute. Went to hit the gas again...nothing..Just that click noise. Waited a few minutes and it started and ran fine. Went for a ways on our ride but I wanted to make sure we could make it back home so I came to a complete stop. Nothing.... Tried forever and eventually had to walk home to tow it back with the truck.

It hasnt started since. I pulled the battery and had it checked. Its fine.

The click noise I'm hearing is coming from a cluster near the battery. This cluster is covered by a plastic protective "hood" that I removed with the screw. I believe this is the solenoid, etc. ??

We initially thought the cart was getting too hot and had to cool a bit before it would start again. Then I felt the battery was dead, but it's good. Again, the radio, gas gauge, oil indicator light, reverse warning, etc all work.

It isnt getting any electrical "fire"... Help ???

Thanks, Kelly
kdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2005 Gas EZGO having a problem..help

Check for good clean connections, solenoid clicks so the fuse, micro switch, key switch is all good. Do you have a voltage meter? Put the meters neg.- to the batteries neg.-. Check voltage across the large cables at solenoid, trace the pos + cable from batt. to solenoid, should have 12v. at that terminal on solenoid, then depress accel pedal and see if there is 12v. on the other terminal (on solenoid) going to the starter. Or you could jump the two terminals and see if the starter turns. if solenoid checks good then it's probably the starter brushes. There is four rubber covers on the opposite side of the belt, remove one and see if the brush is way down in the guide.
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
kdubya
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchman View Post
Check for good clean connections, solenoid clicks so the fuse, micro switch, key switch is all good. Do you have a voltage meter? Put the meters neg.- to the batteries neg.-. Check voltage across the large cables at solenoid, trace the pos + cable from batt. to solenoid, should have 12v. at that terminal on solenoid, then depress accel pedal and see if there is 12v. on the other terminal (on solenoid) going to the starter. Or you could jump the two terminals and see if the starter turns. if solenoid checks good then it's probably the starter brushes. There is four rubber covers on the opposite side of the belt, remove one and see if the brush is way down in the guide.
When I pulled the cover I noticed some crud/corrosion on some of the connectors. I had already pulled the battery so after I had cleaned the connections I didnt get a chance to see it that has helped.
Will run a meter this evening and trace everything down.

Thanks for the advice so far. I appreciate it!

Kelly
Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
joejax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My '93 did that once and awhile, push gas, click..no go. Traced it out to be a bad key switch.
joejax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
kdubya
Not Yet Wild

Cleaned the contacts last night. They really weren't bad at all. Reinstalled battery. Still "click" when I depressed the gas.

Didn't have access to a meter, but my neighbor will come by this evening.

Lights, stereo, and reverse warning beep works....

I'm hoping it's the solenoid..That starter doesn't look like a pleasure to remove, and doesn't look cheap either.

Kelly
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
kdubya
Not Yet Wild

Well, I got a digital meter and did some checking.
The battery shows 12.4V

Turned the key on. The solenoid showed 12.V, then when I depressed the gas it closed the circuit, the meter went to .4V.

So...I'm stuck from here. Am I looking at a starter issue. Brushes, bearings??

The air filter box kind of overhangs the starter mount. Is the starter something a novice mechanic like myself remove and take to repair.

Any thoughts appreciated..

Kelly
Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds to me the battery dropped a cell or 2. Check all the grounds and see if they are good. The starter/gen is easy to pull and rebuild. Done it several times being that I work for a golf course with 120 carts... one gen goes they all start going.
pnshvl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
kdubya
Not Yet Wild

I started another thread concerning starter removal..but, just to update this one-

Battery, solenoid, ignition, etc. all checked good. Removed started, and took it in to the shop. They checked it and turns out it was no good.

Cart shop wanted $350 for a starter.. no re build on my old one they said.

Located a new one on EBay for $108.

Should be at the house in about 4 days.

Thanks for all the help. I've learned a lot here.

Kelly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO