lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Uh Oh ... the 88 is being uncooperative again ...

new problem that I haven't even seen on the forums - logic tells me I'm going to be needing a starter rebuild / brushes / replacement soon, but maybe it's just something simple. (feel free to point me in one of the 3 above directions, if that's what's needed)

About 6 out of 10 times when I press the gas and the starter engages, it makes a "ka-klunk ka-klunk" sound (between 2 and 5 or 6 times) and won't turn over (it's almost as if it's getting to the top of the compression stroke and giving up, the general "vibe" or feeling while sitting on the cart lends itself to that theory too) ... THEN, it'll do a weird little pregnant pause where NOTHING happens, and then it'll turn over fine and run normally (and the whole time this is goingon I have the pedal to the floor). The other 4 times out of 10 it does what it should when I hit the pedal, although occasionally there is a somewhat disconcerting pause between the starter switch and solenoid clicking and the starter engaging, if that points to anything.

All cables clean, belt tension is good, nothing seems loose on the starter or the mount, etc - anyone feel like throwing an idea or two out there? Quite literally, the starter is the only part of this cart I'm still not comfortable with - any help would be appreciated!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Uh Oh ... the 88 is being uncooperative again ...

jeff just had a similar problem on his gtx800 and he just swapped it for another one. opened the bad one enough to look a the brushes and found they were bad. it also was not charging well and now is. is you battery in good shape? this heat is killing many down here.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

If you were to attach a voltmeter positive to F2 and negative to A1 and with the rear axle supported press the throttle you should see 11 ish volts. If you do and the starter is not spinning then the issue must be internal to the starter.

Sometimes the brushes wear in a certain way as you generally start in forward. Does it work more consistently if you start in reverse?

Replacing the brushes and cleaning the commutator is not a big deal as long as the philips head screws that hold the brush holder in are not rusted in.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

actually, Dave, it does it in reverse too, (but nowhere near as consistantly)

And as to the votage test, good idea - tried it and BAM, voltage right there, right now ...

SO onto the brushes, any tips or tricks? I haven't replaced many brushes except on regular AC motors where it's a simple matter of spin the holder/cover/retaining plug off, pop out the spring/brush assembly, then reverse the process with new ones - and as long as I'm at it, at the risk of showing my musician side, what the HELL is a commutator?

Thanks as always, guys - I hope there aren't any newbies reading this post or they're never going to listen to my advice EVER again (even on the stuff I can do in my sleep, hahaha)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

And BTW, this I believe is the brush portion of the equasion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-Z-GO-GOLF-CAR-...item2a1210a498

And a few peeks on the web makes me assume commutator=armature, as to cleaning I would assume a Qtip with some electronic contact cleaner, or should I be sniffing down another hole on this one?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, it can't hurt to check out the brushes in the starter, simply so we can read your posts about how much fun it was to get them all back in.

Thought about tilting the starter forward to take off the belt, and trying to run it under no load? Just trying to eliminate a variable.

Also, maybe check the starter belt - had the same problem after my rebuild, and it came down to the starter turning file, but slipping at the top of the compression stroke. Found chunks of V belt in both of the pullies.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

When I rebuilt my cart I took the brushes out just to inspect them. For some bizarre reason they looked quite new. Once you pop off the 4 rubber caps and remove the screws it really is quite easy. You will need some long nose pliers to fiddle with the springs but this is where your delicate little girly musical fingers will do you proud.
When you have all the brushes out just wipe the commutater (armature to you ) with some alcohol to get rid of any dust or oil.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Alrighty. then - tore into it a bit to inspect and yep, the brushes are pretty **** worn (to the point where I was a little nervous about getting the one I checked to go back in right) - new set on the way, I'll update the progress (maybe even do a little pictoral for future reference) ...

HEY DAVE, the band's looking for a banjo player, I only ask because I figure in your neck of the woods there should be plenty of 'em ....
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, you know, I do also play the ukelele. Makes much more sense to me than my guitar does.

Sorry to hear the brush inspection was easy - last one I had apart was for a Mercury outboard, and getting the brushes back in was enough to make me cry.

And yes, cleaning the worn brush carbon off the armature is always a good idea. Done this on a vacuum a few times.

Last edited by ScooterMcTavish; 07-14-2011 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Have ideas later than I should....
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO