lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Vishus
Not Yet Wild

Default 84 gas club car ds cracked transaxle

So I picked up an 84 club car ds last year to cruise around in when I'm camping at BIR for the NHRA nationals. Worked great; last year.
I was it getting it ready for this years events next weekend and the transaxle suddenly started grinding and leaking profusely.
Pulled the axle today and found that the case is cracked. Called around some local places and discovered that finding a replacement locally and in time to depart for Brainerd on the 18th may not be a realistic aspiration, and may be more trouble than it's worth.

My coworker(who's a bit of a gearhead[whereas I'm more of a techie]) was nagging me a while back to throw a more powerful engine in the thing.
As I understand it, that would mean doing away with the whole transmission and running a chain strait to the rear axle, which would theoretically solve my predicament.

The parts guy I spoke with while looking for a replacement was all like"lol wut?" basically gave me the impression that I should scrap the thing for its aluminum and move on.

So now I'm wondering; Wut do? Is this a viable platform to mod upon? If so; what parts should I be looking at? Should i rebuild the trans? If so; where should I be looking for the parts to get them in time? Should I sell it for scrap and find something else for next weekend?
I'm not mechanically experienced per se, but I work as a fabricator I'm quite capable. I managed to drop the axle in ~4 hours with no experience. My father is an engineer and ex-diesel mech and could potentially assist me if need be. I've got plenty of cash to do something fun/worthwhile.

Thoughts/advice/questions/What would you do?
Vishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Vishus
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 84 gas club car ds cracked transaxle

The cart in question(prior to transaxle junkification).
Old 08-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus View Post
So I picked up an 84 club car ds last year to cruise around in when I'm camping at BIR for the NHRA nationals. Worked great; last year.
I was it getting it ready for this years events next weekend and the transaxle suddenly started grinding and leaking profusely.
Pulled the axle today and found that the case is cracked. Called around some local places and discovered that finding a replacement locally and in time to depart for Brainerd on the 18th may not be a realistic aspiration, and may be more trouble than it's worth.

My coworker(who's a bit of a gearhead[whereas I'm more of a techie]) was nagging me a while back to throw a more powerful engine in the thing.
As I understand it, that would mean doing away with the whole transmission and running a chain strait to the rear axle, which would theoretically solve my predicament.

The parts guy I spoke with while looking for a replacement was all like"lol wut?" basically gave me the impression that I should scrap the thing for its aluminum and move on.

So now I'm wondering; Wut do? Is this a viable platform to mod upon? If so; what parts should I be looking at? Should i rebuild the trans? If so; where should I be looking for the parts to get them in time? Should I sell it for scrap and find something else for next weekend?
I'm not mechanically experienced per se, but I work as a fabricator I'm quite capable. I managed to drop the axle in ~4 hours with no experience. My father is an engineer and ex-diesel mech and could potentially assist me if need be. I've got plenty of cash to do something fun/worthwhile.

Thoughts/advice/questions/What would you do?
Nice looking cart Vishus and it appears that a little money would be well spent to keep her alive. Do you have any snapshots of the break in the trans ? Perhaps a decent TIG welder could sort out your issue ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes post pics of the half that is cracked with as much detail of the case half as possible. I have some, there is more than on that could be in that cart.... Pics soon?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
rusty sr.
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

let me know if you want to sell the rearend. they are much more fun with 100 or so more horse power.
rusty sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Vishus
Not Yet Wild

The damages. Haven't opened her up yet. Sounds like there's at least a busted bearing in there as well.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

More specifically I need a pic of the side case you are looking for... there are 2 different differentials used in that cart.
By the way, Nice crack
Old 08-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Vishus
Not Yet Wild

You mean the part numbers?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sorry I don't have that one...... somebody else might though, go ahead and post a better pic.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Vishus
Not Yet Wild

Tags
club car, transaxle, transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car