lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
cliffhanger
Not Yet Wild

Default do I need new clutch buttons?

Question, please: '97 Club Car gas.
There is a "chattering" noise for a second or two when accelerating on start up....it's brief, yes. Comes from the clutch area.
It's more pronounced with a passenger, and going up an incline. It's a "rattle" sound...I can't see that the belt is slipping, and after a few seconds it's gone. Cart runs great. Replacing the belt didn't solve the problem.
But where is the sound coming from?
But---cannot figure out the "knocking" sound. How do I know if it's time to replace the buttons on the clutch?

Thanks.
Cliffhanger
cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
stinger5
Gone Wild

Default Re: do I need new clutch buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
Question, please: '97 Club Car gas.
There is a "chattering" noise for a second or two when accelerating on start up....it's brief, yes. Comes from the clutch area.
It's more pronounced with a passenger, and going up an incline. It's a "rattle" sound...I can't see that the belt is slipping, and after a few seconds it's gone. Cart runs great. Replacing the belt didn't solve the problem.
But where is the sound coming from?
But---cannot figure out the "knocking" sound. How do I know if it's time to replace the buttons on the clutch?

Thanks.
Cliffhanger
Put the cart in maintenance mode and watch and listen to the clutches when you start it up. If that doesn't help then (engine off) look closely at the pucks on the driven clutch, there are three of them and you can rotate the clutch by hand to see them all. Make sure all three are there and inspect them. I saw one recently where two pucks had broken away and made the cart sound like a bunch of bolts in a clothes drier on steroids.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
cliffhanger
Not Yet Wild

Stinger,
Thanks for the input.
NOPE....I don't get the "chatter" in main. mode.

And, yes...the three pucks are there. Should they be lubed or anything?

back to you.
Cliff
Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
stinger5
Gone Wild

Quote:
Stinger,
Thanks for the input.
NOPE....I don't get the "chatter" in main. mode.

And, yes...the three pucks are there. Should they be lubed or anything?

back to you.
Cliff
No Cliff, no wet lube. It gets sprayed around the area and will wreck your belts. On rebuilt clutches I use just a tiny wipe of graphite powder on the internals.
Back to your noise; Since you lost the chatter in maintenance I imagine this is because there is no load on the drive train but we haven't really proven where the issue lies yet. I assume that both clutches are opening and closing smoothly as you rev the motor but have another look and see if there is any sticking at all. Next thing I'd be looking at would be the drive clutch. Pull off the belt, reach in there and press the outer sheave inwards. It's a little tricky but firm pressure should make it slide inward smoothly. Now check that both clutch retaining bolts are there and tight. I've never seen a drive bolt come loose but I have seen and heard of several rear clutch bolts that have come loose. Lets see where you stand after that.
stinger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
cliffhanger
Not Yet Wild

Stinger,
OOOPS, I believe I lost my reply to your last posting. ??? Dunno' what happened.

The chattering sound seems to be only when there's a load on the cart. Or when I'm going up an incline from a standing start, such as up the driveway from the street to the garage.
And...maybe it's just me, but when it's hot outside (which is often in Phoenix) I have a feeling it's more pronounced.

Have not pulled the belt and tested the outer sheave yet.
But...everything looks smooth and the retaining bolts are in place and tight.
Thank you for your continuing advice.
(will try to post this again).
Cliff
Old 10-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

what about me do you think i need new ones? haha mine are worn the heck out! just checked them since i had my clutch ripped apart to put in the 200 rpm spring. button kit is ordered just waiting to put it back together sure hope it cuts down on the clanking that used to come from down there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00983-20111017-1901.jpg (94.3 KB, 23 views)
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
cliffhanger
Not Yet Wild

Matt,
From the little experience I've had with this....ah...yeah. I'd say those puppies are about worn out. Mine don't look like that, but...
what do they sound like in that condition?
Cliff
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Matt,
From the little experience I've had with this....ah...yeah. I'd say those puppies are about worn out. Mine don't look like that, but...
what do they sound like in that condition?
Cliff
clanks alot, almost like the cover was loose rattling around
Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

anyone know the torque for the screws that hold the clutch buttons? and do they get blue loctite?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
cliffhanger
Not Yet Wild

Stinger & Matt,

My reference to my clutch buttons "looking OK" indicates how full of dung I actually am!
True, I'm quite new to all this (plus, I'm old now), but....when I said the buttons looked OK, I realized later that I was looking at the driven clutch, not the drive clutch!!! Because I hadn't yet pulled the drive clutch!!

I am really nervous pulling the drive clutch off---with the puller. I cranked on the head on the puller and it is really, really tight..... worrying I'm gonna' break something or strip something. I'll wait until morning now and have a friend
help me out.
You just keep cranking on it (clockwise) until it pops off, yes? That's what I've been told. The bolt, of course, comes out left-hand thread.
The "Club Car guru" over at one of the shops says that as long as you're gonna' pull the clutch to install a new weight kit. He says they have much more problem with the weights than with the clutch buttons.
Cliff

Tags
clutch button check
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car