lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
jlw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default ezgo won't start

I have an 87 ezgo 2 stroke which is getting spark and fuel but will not start, I keep pulling the plug and it is very wet, i just don't know which direction to go to find the problem, so please give me some imput on this problem--battery is fully charged and compression seems to be good but haven't checked that yet. Thanks jlw
jlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: ezgo won't start

Hello and welcome to the land of trouble solvers. I've got the same problem, mines an 88, 2cycle, 2pg. I've rebuilt the top end, got spark, got fuel, good compression, new air filter, exhaust components are clean and clear, turns over good in both directions,no noises coming from engine,other than the normal engine spinning and the exhaust, new plug( tried three different ones just to make sure) new plug wire. I primed the fuel pump, carb, and fuel line to filter, got it to run for a couple of min"s but ran like it was starving for fuel or to much air. Never got it to run wide open, it just sputtered along then died out, would not re start. So if you can get yours to run maybe what ever your problem is will get mine running to. We need help guys, anything at all to help with this. Thanks Donald Also I checked for an air leak around carb and fuel pump and found nothing, even replaced the gaskets and tightened all back down.
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
jlw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm getting ready to check compression and lets hope 1Lane66 someone can help us
Old 10-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I've been going through this problem for sometime now. I know it's something stupid and easy that I'm over looking, Just wish I could stumble on to it.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
jlw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Checked my compression and it was 110 so i was pleased thinking it has to be the carburetor. and i now know it is, pulled off fuel line and made sure carburetor was dry and the cyclinder was also and it started with sure start then put line back on and its running great----Now i really think when its cold it will flood again and have the same problem until i replace the carburetor but i will try going thru it one more time first, 1lane66 i hope your problem is the same as mine
Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Guys these old carbs can be a real pain if not totally clean that said 1lane66 I noticed you have rebuilt the top end.Is it possible you have the piston in wrong. Remove the exhaust pipe from the head and look at the piston you should see no hole in the piston. If you do it's in wrong opening goes to the intake side. Have you replaced the crank seals ? If so when you removed the flywheel side you had to remove the pulser and plate assembly.When reinstalling it did you make sure to center the plate with the two small screws ? Just some ideas guys but we'll need answers.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Racin, yes the piston is in correctly I looked and had to change it when I first put it together, was in to big a hurry, Did not replace the seals though, as much as it will be used and they were still tight with no movement in the shaft at all and didn't want to mess with the pulsar at this time cause I wasn't sure about resetting the timing. Has around 115 to 120 psi on the compression cause I rechecked it 4 times yesterday when I was messing with it. The fuel pump ( I have2 0f then) seem to be working fine with them off the engine. I can put my mouth over the in let and the out let and make the diaphrams moved and hold vaccume as the should to pull in fuel and force it out. but when installed seems to be not working, I can see fuek in the clear line from the tank to the carb but doesn't look like it is really moving any fuel at all. Once the fuel in the carb is gone it dies out and runs sluggish at best. There will still be fuel in the line though all the way to the fuel pump. Make sense what I'm trying to say? I'm thinking it isn't the fuel pump but don.t know what else to check. I can remove the pump, spin the engine and feel the pressure at the port that operates the pump. I even removed the spacer and put a cork gasket in it's place to get the pump closer to the engine but same results. I'm lost. Hope you can make sense of all this. going to try and shoot a video of this today and post it so you and all can see what it's doing. Thanks again for the response,,,Donald
Old 10-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
jlw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will pull the carb again and give it one more good cleaning---where should the adjustment be on the choke cause when mine is fully open its alittle past vertical, racin161 i can say this from myself and 1lane66 thanks for any imput you can help us with, i also think i need to go to a longer air filter cause when i had it off it sure seemed like i was getting a much higher RPM when running it on my floor jack or was it cause the wheels were off the ground ??? the guy i bought it from has an air filter which is about 4 inches high then with a small can about 3 inches on top of it,---does that sound strange ??? Many thanks Guys
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok I tried to do a Video to help explain what is going on with mine,,,here it is, in order to open use quick timer player. The engine is actually trying to run even through it doesn't sound like it on the video. It would hit and sputter and that's all it will do. sorry video will not post.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Seems there are 2 guys in this tread asking similar questions.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO