lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 84 club car engine

My friend was tearing in to the engine of his 84 stock club car ds as it was starting to smoke a little. when we got the cylinder off we noticed a piece of the piston was broken off but the crank seemed to be alright and we got the piece out however we took a magnet and got some pieces of metal out that I can not find on a diagram and dont know what it is. The cart was running when we tore into it but it is a mystery. I am going to try to put a pic of it on here if I figure out how. Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart piece.jpg (149.2 KB, 0 views)
Buckstivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 84 club car engine

Looks like the back side retainer of the camshaft pulley. Better check your camshaft.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks a bunch. Will do. We looked at diagram pics and couldnt see it .
Old 09-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

From what I can tell you don't really need the retainer. The camshaft that came out of my '87 has that retainer still on it and the gear is riveted onto the camshaft, but that camshaft snapped, so I got a camshaft out of a '90 and on that one the gear is simply bolted on with nylock nuts (maybe someone repaired it at some point).

Here's a pic of my two cam gears. On the left is the original '87, on the right is the '90 camshaft with bolts and no retainer.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I think we have all the peices to the retainer but the rivets are still in the cam gear. Do the rivets or bolts have any purpose if they are gone. Does it need those rivets or bolts to hold anything but the retainer.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I'm pretty sure the pulley will work itself loose if you don't replace those rivets with something. If the rivet heads are gone or sheared off I would drill them out and replace them.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

mine doesnt have the retainer either. im thinking at some point the same thing had happened. the gear was loose on the cam shaft once the plate was gone so i ground the rivits off and replaced them with 10-30x2" bolts and nylocks and put locktitie on the nylocks as well. has been fine for 2 years so far!
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

i was wrong they were #8 bolts. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...cam-gears.html
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Buckstivers
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks lol we figured they were different when we went to get some bolts. Got it together now just waiting for some more parts then throw it all back together.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
BlingBling
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That is not actually a retainer,(although it is being used as one)...originally these were stand alone bilge pump motors. Those pieces are part of the original engine governor working off the cam. These are kawasaki kf82d-x engines. Club car removed the engine gov since they use a diff gov.
check this link out...just found it today, you will see the parts you are talking about.

wincogen.com/files/downloads/winco_engine_maintenance/kawasaki_kf82d-x_pl.pdf

hope this helps,
Bling
BlingBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car